Fly Fusion Forums

Iwhat???

iPad? Really? Is it just me or does that sound like Apple is releasing a feminine hygiene product? I've bought a lot of Apple gear over the years - laptops, iPods, iPhones - but somehow I just have no desire to buy this oversized iPhone. Or am I being too harsh?

maxi-pad or big ass Iphone

Absolutely not!! It is a glorified iTouch that's for sure!! I, like you am a HUGE fan of Apple and their products, but I think they dropped the ball on this one, as it falls short in a number of ways... No camera, backlit screen, and needs upgrading to access a 3G network... Oh and don't drop the thing!! Definitely not the revolutionary product Mr. Jobs thinks it will be!!

P

iPad? Really? Is it just me or does that sound like Apple is releasing a feminine hygiene product? I've bought a lot of Apple gear over the years - laptops, iPods, iPhones - but somehow I just have no desire to buy this oversized iPhone. Or am I being too harsh?

Guest Sundancefisher

You are just getting confused with the iRod. That is the latest Sage flyrod product with built in iPhone and iPod.

The advantage is to surf the net for info when the trout are not biting and have cool tunes in the background.

You have to be very careful however. There is a counterfeit product out of China that the wives are buying for their hubbies called the iStick sometimes seen as the cheaper knock off iWhip. Neither are the same as an iRod. Looks the same but the iStick and iWhip have a built in GPS system and microphone so the wife always knows where you are and what you and the guys are talking about.

It is also reinforced with extra carbon so she can whip you with it when you get home. Very dangerous!

Besides all these new useless inventions are terrible for the environment. Some of you are worried about plastic forks and spoons at a breakfast, yet buy up this crap like is some device that you cannot live without. Think about it.

Are you borrowing your neighbours computer to type your responses in this thread? <--poke--<

Can't wait to see guys walking around with that thing hooked on belt...lol

With the limited knowledge I have on the product I can't see it replacing the Iphone. Might be a good alternative to those mini low power lap tops.

i'm gonna wear mine around my neck like flavor flav yo

A library card is still cheaper (considering you're tax dollars have already paid for the books, magazines and dvds!)! Plus it gets you out of the house!!

P

If you spent as much time as I do on planes you'd understand the appeal of an ebook reader over carrying one or more books. And I don't mind my tax dollars spent on libraries being used by those who maybe can't afford to buy books. The time I save by ordering my books online just means more time to spend walking my dog or fishing...

Marc, I know what you're saying, but the low tech option is still an option (especially with kids that spend WAY too much time in front of the T.V. and computer)...

P

If you spent as much time as I do on planes you'd understand the appeal of an ebook reader over carrying one or more books. And I don't mind my tax dollars spent on libraries being used by those who maybe can't afford to buy books. The time I save by ordering my books online just means more time to spend walking my dog or fishing...

This ipad looks brutal. It does everything but nothing good.

Book reader - I don't use them but i don't think this type of display would be good for the eyes. The kindles e ink displays seems far better for this.

NetBook - No background apps?? This seemed somewhat reasonable on the iphone but on something like this that seems ridiculous. I would need to see a completely different OS before thinking this could take over what netbooks are.

Ipod - Way to big. There are a few situations a year in my life where i may want that nice big screen for a movie or something but not enough to have to pack that thing around.

So what kind of market do you guys think it will hit? I am thinking business people who travel lots and could enjoy the screen for movies and such, seems like a small market.

Edit: and still no flash

So what kind of market do you guys think it will hit?

The market will be:

-All those people that can't read an Ipod.

-The elderly.

-First time computer buyers.

-Anyone needing a second machine in their home in order to prevent fighting over the primary machine. I would have bought an Ipad in a flash over the $500 laptop we have that is used only for surfing the net, email and pictures.

-Students.

-The techies.

-The homemaker - perfect for recipes and looking at pictures of beautiful flowers. Also a good solution for those who tend to lose small things.

-Forum junkies.

-Faceless Bookers.

My bet is these are a first generation machine that will be vastly improved upon. There is a bunch of improvements they could make to it such as flash, voice recognition and projection screens but I'm sure Apple wants to go through a few generations of Ipad too.

Ditto. Add c-train to that. And I can get first run books at about 1/3 the price, no waiting for stuff I want to be available at the library. Add to that the battery lasts for a LONG time (haven't charged mine in 2 wks) if you don't have the wireless turned on. Best electronic purchase I have made in years.

I don't know what Apple was really trying to make here yet, as I haven't seen one. But if it is a good e-reader it will sell. Next big market in consumer electronics, IMHO.

As to Apple market research-hard to argue with it. But they have had some spectacular misses over the years. I just doubt this is one of them.