Fly Fusion Forums

Iwhat???

All these things, digi cameras, iphones, laptops, now this ebook, most computers, most of the intrenet, they are all fads.

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."

Kenneth H. Olson , President of DEC, Convention of the World Future Society, 1977

"The world potential market for copying machines is 5000 at most."

-- IBM , to the eventual founders of Xerox, saying the photocopier had no market large enough to justify production, 1959

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."

-- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"Television won't last. It's a flash in the pan."

-- Mary Somerville, pioneer of radio educational broadcasts, 1948

"Television won't last because people will soon get tired of staring at

a plywood box every night."

-- Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

-- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

Yep. Definitely a fad. :D

I guess in some way, you have a greater chance of getting "jacked" as was the case a few years ago when the iPod came out and was quite expensive (not so much anymore)... But the larger the devise, the easier it is to rob you of it... Not saying that it will be prevalent, but possible... As opposed to a book, most "theives" are not going to rob you for your book or magazine...

So let the $hit start to fly! LoL :P

P

Ditto. Add c-train to that. And I can get first run books at about 1/3 the price, no waiting for stuff I want to be available at the library. Add to that the battery lasts for a LONG time (haven't charged mine in 2 wks) if you don't have the wireless turned on. Best electronic purchase I have made in years.

I don't know what Apple was really trying to make here yet, as I haven't seen one. But if it is a good e-reader it will sell. Next big market in consumer electronics, IMHO.

As to Apple market research-hard to argue with it. But they have had some spectacular misses over the years. I just doubt this is one of them.

I guess in some way, you have a greater chance of getting "jacked" as was the case a few years ago when the iPod came out and was quite expensive (not so much anymore)... But the larger the devise, the easier it is to rob you of it... Not saying that it will be prevalent, but possible... As opposed to a book, most "theives" are not going to rob you for your book or magazine...

So let the $hit start to fly! LoL :P

P

Add biometrics. That will take care of the jacking.

Apple knows this, they'll just add in security features into the new generations.

It's amazing how many discussions I have heard about this product in the last day. People don't talk about products that don't sell. If there is interest in the product shown through discussion there is a good chance it will sell.

I think I might be the one guy who likes it (shows my level of computer savy eh)

Seems like a perfect compromise between tiny little hand held GPS screens and knocking the snot out of laptops in my jeep - I do alot of exploring in my jeep and laptops only fit in laps when there is no steering wheel present - This is all assuming it will support GPS and the that thing is being built reasonably durable.

I think I might be the one guy who likes it (shows my level of computer savy eh)

Seems like a perfect compromise between tiny little hand held GPS screens and knocking the snot out of laptops in my jeep - I do alot of exploring in my jeep and laptops only fit in laps when there is no steering wheel present - This is all assuming it will support GPS and the that thing is being built reasonably durable.

Get one of these, Armor X10 rugged as hell, I got one for work, t'aint cheap though.