Fly Fusion Forums

Learning How To Tie Fly's.........

sgwinkel

One possibility to consider is the Calgary Hook and Hackle Club. As part of their regular meetings they have beginner fly tying sessions after the business portion. Visitors are welcome to drop by for a meeting and see what the clubs all about, which is how I became aware of that fact. They also have a decent library of books and vidos for members to borrow. Others guys will no doubt know people who can put you in touch with some guys who run courses. If you want, I might be able to help you out. Send me a pm if you want to try and get together.

During winter time Fish Tales and Country Pleasures do free seminars every sunday I believe. Also every second or third tuesday Sean Darby hosts Fly Tie Tuesdays at the rose and crown and gives free lessons. Other wise you can hire someone from fish tales for private lessons. I'd teach you but im too expensive.

Guest tallieho

Hey if you live in calgary.City parks & recreation puts on a couple of courses each year,very reasonable price.i really liked it because you use all there materials ,vises etc. at no extra cost.Also at the end of the course you"ll know if you then want to lay out the dough to purchase your own stuff.Hope this helps you out ,but do check other options,the hook & hackle sure sounds good.

Sure thing Lundvike. I'll be posting an outline of what I intend to do. But the aim will be to have you tying the basics so that over the winter you can tie up a series of patterns to fill you boxes for next season. The direction would be on good tying practices.

If there is interest you can pm me with any questions.

:ph34r: PSSST SD only has like 48 years experience get someone who knows what they're doing :ph34r:

Like me I've tied atleast 6 flies.

Kidding kidding SD will you be doing any somewhat more advanced tying lessons? Not that I feel I am advanced but I think I have the basics but may be interested in some lessons in the trickier realms like deer hair and tiny drys, proper product selection and application

:ph34r: PSSST SD only has like 48 years experience get someone who knows what they're doing :ph34r:

Like me I've tied atleast 6 flies.

Kidding kidding SD will you be doing any somewhat more advanced tying lessons? Not that I feel I am advanced but I think I have the basics but may be interested in some lessons in the trickier realms like deer hair and tiny drys, proper product selection and application

Sure if you like, that's why i prefer to give individual sessions geared towards a persons skills and how to hone them. I will deal with intermediate also to get you to the next level.

One possibility to consider is the Calgary Hook and Hackle Club....they have beginner fly tying sessions ....They also have a decent library of books and vidos for members to borrow.

Thats how I learned. I went to the H&H club to sign up for the sessions, got my list of materials and then withdrew some books on tying. One of them was a real oldie (can't remember the name) that showed step by step how to tie. Not pattern based, more method based. Probably the best book for a beginner I've ever seen.

Anyway, its two weeks between meetings and after purchasing the materials and reading the book, I couldn't wait. I gave it a shot on my own. Well, by the time the next meeting came by, I already tied up about 6 different drys and nymph's.

I never did go to any of the sessions but I'm still a member of the H&H. You have to persevere before you get comfortable with the club and they get comfortable with you, but its worth the effort. Its great to get together with a bunch of like mined people and shoot the *hit for a couple hours, tie some flies and/or learn a few things.

LF

I'm hoping the new TUC chapter in Canmore will organize a couple fly-tie get togethers in this upcoming winter. We also do sessions up here at the rec center in LL throughout the winter - makes a huge diff to have a pro look over your shoulder and makes suggestions once in a while, I tried to learn myself too, but nothing beats a little one-on-one instruction.