Fly Fusion Forums

Speycasting School

speyghillie

Toolman in a Calgary nightclub? Don't know the TM that well but I know its tough to be drinking at the Back Alley or Cowboys and drifting skid bitchs for monster night time browns at the same time.......

Yeah, Broonies are on the agenda most evenings right now. September is Trophy hunting for those beauties only, not regular fishing, then off to Smithers, BC, to chase Steelies with Hawgstoppah, first week of Oct.

There will be more time for whiskey and women later this winter when it's too cold to fish.

Priorities boys, and a good plan helps too, except for the women part...usually turns into whiskey and fightin' over women down at the Back Alley...

Hi Guy's,

Just to say i will be doing the Speycasting School on Sunday the 23rd Sept at Southland dog park, located at the end of Southland drive, on the east side of Deerfoot Trail.

Meet for 9am,

Thanks to Dino, cheeler, Al and Tim for booking the Day, just waiting to here from a couple of guy's , but i guess there is still a couple of spots left if anyone is interested.

Thanks Gordon.

If any of you fellas are on the fence about signing up please consider....

Since taking Gordons class I am up over 150 more fish landed this year, than last year, at this time with less days out - the only change I made is using spey techniques with both my spey rod and one hander in both moving and still waters. The primary result of what I leaned is most simply described as: I spend much more time with my fly in or on the water instead of in the air and that means more hook-ups. That day was one of my best investments yet.

I'd love to do it but I just cannot get the time off..... I have been trying and trying but staff shortages are seriously so bad its not even funny. I am lucky to even get my regular days off this year and only because I downright refuse to work them...... its brutal. Everyone with the ability to do my job (which is not that hard at all) is already completely fully loaded and in most cases overloaded to the point of wanting to kill people. The rest are so new and so unexperienced that it would be foolish to even try and leave them. Someone else did it last night and now I will have 3 days of headaches trying to fix the mistakes as they filter through the system...... I work in the tourism industry and the word weekend just does not have the same definition for me as they do for others...... Now if it were on a thursday I would be all over it......

sorry I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to guilt trip you or anything.... I don't imagine that there would be time to fill a lesson for friday and the demand for a weekday lesson would be pretty low I am sure...... and I wouldn't want to steal a days fishing from you to teach 1 person either especially when you don't get the chance to fish much in canada....... But if you think we can work something out I am likely available friday and if you are planning to spey cast anyways I would likely be game to just pay to tag along and get a few pointers..... I learn best from watching and applying anyways and that way you could still fish..... But if you want to just fish and you figure you may be back again sometime to do another clinic then I am happy to just wait till the next time...... Anyways I don't want to put you out on account of me so if it doesn't work or it doesn't fit your plans don't worry about it. I have many many years to learn spey casting. That and I have a tentative trip planned for thurs, friday to the N ram but its not written in stone

Hi Lonefisher,

I have plenty time to fish, will be in BC for six weeks after the weekend, and this is trip number twenty for me, i might be back in the spring but not sure yet, if Toolman could drop me at southland dog park i would gladly spend the day teaching you.

But just let me know, if you have other thing to do it's no problem, i will be there swinging a fly anyway and trying out some lines.

Thanks Gordon.

Hi Tim,

I'm sure some one will give you directions, i'm from way out of town. :)

But this might help.

I will be doing the Speycasting School on Sunday the 23rd Sept at Southland dog park, located at the end of Southland drive, on the east side of Deerfoot Trail.

Hope this helps, see you there on Sunday morning at 9am.

Thanks Gordon.

Don,

Gordon is likely in transit flying over to Calgary from Glasgow, but he does have a spot open for Saturday's school. He is arriving late Thursday pm and staying with me for the weekend. I will let him know that you are in. See you on Sunday.

Toolman,

Thank you. I will be there on Sunday (I assume you meant Sunday).

Don

Thanks Don, yes I meant Sundays Spey School. You can join us on Saturday also, if you can make it to the Bow Clean up & bbq.

greenteal, Gordon will respond to your enquiry this evening.

Thanks,

EDIT: Thanks for signing on Greenteal, we will see you on Sunday, 9:00am.

You guys are in for a treat on Sunday. Gordon is a excellent teacher........ He had to beat a couple of points into my head but in the end he showed me a lot and even had me casting a little ways. Thanks Gordon and thanks TM for letting me test out your lines and reels and stuff. I now have a good idea as to what I need to outfit my rod with...... Then I can get out and really chop some wood