Fly Fusion Forums

Just Wanted To Test The Results Of A Radio Poll I Have Been Listening To.

Would you Join Canada  

60 members have voted

1. 1. If your province was currently not part of Canada and it was holding a binding referendum today, would you vote to join the confederation?

• Yes
    • NO

SO I have been in my car the last few days listening to QR770 and they have been running an informal poll. I was wondering if the results may be similar or very different in the demographic on here (what ever that might be)? It was interesting to hear all the callers and emails on the radio. So here it is:

If your province was currently not part of Canada and it was holding a binding referendum today, would you vote to join the confederation?

Is it my computer, me, too many egg nogs, or does this topic seem to be at the top of "View New Posts" since yesterday???...And there has bin no replies...Its been sorta buggin me out...Kinda weird...Anyone else notice this??

Every vote is like a new post and moves it up to the top. Any extra Rum and Nog send it my way.

If your province was currently not part of Canada and it was holding a binding referendum today, would you vote to join the confederation?

If not part of Canada, what would we be, an independent nation? Or part of another country? If Alberta, BC, and Sask were one country (maybe even throw in Manitoba) - then I'd probably not vote to join. This is different than voting to leave Canada assuming we were already a part - that I probably would not do. I suspect that some who are voting Yes in this Poll are really saying No to voting to leave the Confederation - they are very different questions.

My rationale is that, if we were a separate country, we'd already have our own federal system including laws, police, government etc. so can't really see any benefit to joining a country that would have Quebec in it - would make more sense to join the US. Between the three provinces, we'd have enough diversity that I doubt we'd become a hard right wing state.

There is no doubt in my mind that our three province country would be far more prosperous - we'd be larger than Norway, and resource rich, and have two large trading partners. We wouldn't waste more than $4B per year translating documents into French, only to have them never read by 90% of the population. Still would be lots of political grousing between the provinces, but at least each province would pull their own weight. I've grown weary of being bad mouthed by Quebec AND Ontario (the people and the politicians) about our dirty oil as they sit there taking our handouts to the tune of $750 per year for every man, woman, and child in Quebec from Alberta alone. That doesn't even include the money spent in those two provinces on running the federal gov't which probably runs into several more thousand per year for each western taxpayer. England learned something in the late 1700's about taxation without representation.

Maybe that makes my neck red, but I tried to answer the poll assuming that I had no loyalties to Canada (because I was never a part of it) and considering what reasons I would have to join. For those that voted Yes - I'd be curious to hear what would make you want to join the Confederation now?

I tend to agree, rehsifylf. Voting to leave and being independent and voting to join are entirely different. Don't know whether throwing in the "Western Canada" concept is valid, but even just as an independent BC, I would choose to stay independent and join no one.

j

Rehsifylf, count me as another who supports what you said. I too wonder if people really bothered to think about what the question is implying. In the scenario that you outlined, with a "Western" Canada, I don't see alot of incentive in joining Confederation. And I hope also add, that I have no problem having at least 2 of the three northern territories in this scenario (Yukon and NWT).

Though it may seem like a total contradiction, since the reality is that AB is part of confederation, I do not support my fellow AB citizens who keep proposing on Rutherford and Adler (talk radio, for those wondering) that we should separate.

Smitty

I'm not albertan, just another newfie refugee that planted his ass here in search of a better life... That said, i'm curious about the alberta separtists. I'm not saying yay or nay in any sense, I don't feel I have a right to but i'd like to hear albertan's opinions on separation...

It seems to me that the major bulk of alberta's economy hinges on the price of a barrel of oil and natural gas and everything tied to it - and i've heard many stories of when things went bad like in the 80's when the price was down to $20.00.

If Alberta were to stand alone as it's own nation, and the price of oil crashed/burned and stayed there, what would be the result? Could Alberta survive alone through a long term recession when its major exports are tied to the oilfield?

Not asking for any other reason but curiousity.

Robert:

I can't speak for the separatists - since I'm not one - but I think it would be foolish if this province we're to try and go it alone. I only envisioned the scenario that reh outlined; where at least BC, AB, and Sask are a nation (we need access to an ocean and China and India, Sask is now a have province) and a strong arguments could be made for adding Manitoba and the territories.

Smitty

P.S. So the quick answer is no! AB as a single, standalone country would eventually crash and burn, because Albertans don't vote for politicians smart enough to have a vision for our province's economy that diversifies enough in the future. A good point will be made about the qaulity of available candidates to select from, but that's a whole other thread...

Folks,

One only has to look @ Alberta history to see that the oil rich fat cats of today is but a blip in Alberta's history. Most of the past, Alberta was a have not province. A position it could return to again once all the extractable resources are exported.

But if it does separate, a fence [about a 30' high 40,000 volt should do it] placed down Highway #2 with Calgary and Edmonton on the east side would help. After all, Sask needs the people.

catch ya'

Don