Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Reel

fwalsh

Just wondering if anyone has anything to report on the Lamson Konic 4 as a Spey reel . I just got my first Spey outfit and find the Okuma Integrity 10/11 too small with only a RIO Windcutter Spey line and 150 yards of backing . Thanks for any advice ..........Frank

What's the line weight of your Windcutter and are you using 20# or 30# backing?

Your Integrity holds a WF10 and 170yds of 30# backing, while the Konic 4 holds a WF10 and 240yds of 30# so it definitely has a bit more capacity. Theoretically the Konic should be able to hold about 70 more yards of 30# backing, provided their listed capacities are accurate.

Personally if you ask me, if you are going to buy a Lamson product for spey I would go with the Velocity V4 or V3 I have used these before personally and have found no problems with them. I do have a lamson Velocity V4 for sale, sent you a PM.

Anyways welcome to the spey community and don't be afraid to ask questions here as there are people that post here that really do know what they are talking about, and once the weather is a bit warmer hopefully we can have another spey gathering before the expo.

I am using a 7-8-9 Windcutter with 12 feet cut off the running line end along with 150 yards of 20 pound test Dacron ( Walmart brand ) . I don't know if Micron would be any thinner than the one I have on the reel .............Frank

Is it just that you want more backing on the reel or a slightly bigger reel to balance out the rod better? To balance you might want at least a 4" diameter reel with some decent width to it. To get more backing, you could cut a little more running line off the Windcutter since it has something like 70' to it. I'd also consider upping to 30# dacron for the size of fish you're seeing with a 9wt rod. Gelspun is also an option - high break strength and you can fit more of it on the reel if it's just a question of getting more backing on it.

Headscan : I want a larger reel so it is not filled as much as the one I have now . The option to add more backing if wanted is also attractive . I will probably visit our local flyshop and wind the flyline and backing onto a Lamson Konic 4 and others to see which I prefer .............Frank

I like the Loop G3 Evotech 8-10 HD, they are probably the nicest reel I have had the pleasure of owning. As the G4 is coming out, or may already be, there are deals to be had and they more than enough line, with room to spare. As a bonus (actually one of the features that sold me on it) fishing steelhead in -10, and acccidentally dunking the reel, I encountered no drag freeze up problems, which can't be said about some other reels I have dealt with.

I like the Loop G3 Evotech 8-10 HD, they are probably the nicest reel I have had the pleasure of owning. As the G4 is coming out, or may already be, there are deals to be had and they more than enough line, with room to spare. As a bonus (actually one of the features that sold me on it) fishing steelhead in -10, and acccidentally dunking the reel, I encountered no drag freeze up problems, which can't be said about some other reels I have dealt with.

I had a similar experience while steelheadin in sub zero temps, other guys (more expensive) reels where froze-up and had no drag. My Loop Evotec functioned flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Lamson Velocity 3 for Xmas this year and am going to be putting it on my 7wt switch rod. I put the reel on the rod yesterday without line and I am worried about the weight of the reel. the Velocity 3 is rated for 7/8 wt but is a super light reel... I think the Velocity 4 would be to big, has anyone used the Velocity 3.5 at all? I think I am going to call a local shop and see if they have the 3.5 to just look at and compare it. My Dad got me the reel from a fly shop in BC called Pacific Anglers so i guess i'll have to ship it back to them and trade it in if need be.

General rule of thumb is that when your reel loaded with line and backing is on the rod it should balance close to the top of the cork, but personal preference plays a big role. If it's still too light but the line fits on the reel, you can always use a bit of lead to add some weight at the reel seat instead of getting another reel.

I have used the loop and the danielsson for saltwater fishing and they fall very short of the Charltons (I have only played with his previous reels before - haven't seen the Mako yet). Never been a fan of Nautilus. I have a couple of the Makos on order for tarpon fishing but was mainly wondering if anyone had tried the spey model as it apparently has lower top end drag relative to the non-spey versions.