Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout Studies

I was wondering if anyone has any links to any bull trout studies in Alberta. I'm having my grade 9's research endangered or threatened Alberta animal species and I can only find two studies but I'm sure there are more. Many of the students have no idea about bulls and many of them fish so this is my time to plug the curriculum and river conservation in and around Calgary. I am also looking at trying to line up a guest speaker who has studied bulls to present an overview of their studies. Any suggestions would be great. I have been in contact with a few people but they haven't seemed really interested.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Kyle Stewart

Kyle, why not try to contact Trout Unlimited... Don't they have an "outreach" or education division/department/people...

http://www.bowriver.org/

P

I was wondering if anyone has any links to any bull trout studies in Alberta. I'm having my grade 9's research endangered or threatened Alberta animal species and I can only find two studies but I'm sure there are more. Many of the students have no idea about bulls and many of them fish so this is my time to plug the curriculum and river conservation in and around Calgary. I am also looking at trying to line up a guest speaker who has studied bulls to present an overview of their studies. Any suggestions would be great. I have been in contact with a few people but they haven't seemed really interested.

Cheers,

Kyle Stewart

Here's one: http://www.y2y.net/Default.aspx?cid=55&lang=1, its technical report #7 " Improving the Ecological Function of the Upper Bow"

I believe Wendy Francis, their Conservation Director, has done numerous talks on this subject and could easily come in as a guest speaker if you call them up. I believe their # is on their website.

tightline - thanks for that website, I never looked at it before and it is very useful.

I'm currrently watching at least half the class study bull trout, and all of them are using the articles you guys provided me. Hopefully, some of the information from these articles will stick with them and they will spread the word.

Thanks again for all the help

Try getting your hands on the "Friends of the Bull Trout Conference Proceedings" from Canmore 1999. There is more info relating to bull trout than you can comprehend. Kerry Brewin and Mike Monita put the technical papers together so I believe the TU office will have a copy. It has a grey cover with a handsome fellow on the front (the bull trout that is) the other mug is mine.

Good luck on your project.

Guest Sundancefisher

Cheers,

Kyle Stewart

search in gogle under "egan stelfox bull trout"...lots of links

You could try searching on PUBMED (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) using keywords such as "alberta and salvelinus". That got 72 hits, but I couldn't figure out how to send the link.

Depends what you are looking for though... there will definately be some ecology in there, but most will be slanted towards pharmacology, physiology and toxicology.

Or you might have luck using another index like "web of science" but I have no experience with that one.

PS. if you find a paper on there that interests you and you can't access it let me know, and I will try to get it for you if you want.

Thanks again for all the help. My students are all well underway and I have printed off more than 10 different studies and most of the students are studying bulls. Monger thanks for the video info, it's being mailed to me next week. This project has been very successful thanks to all your help, I have pushed the kids to study animals close to home, they man not be as flashy as some other exotic animals but I wanted them to know what lived around us; as many of them know more about lions, tigers etc. than caribou, trout, bears etc.

Once again, thanks for all the help!

Cheers,

Kyle