Fly Fusion Forums

Buying A New Spey Set-up

acurrie

So here goes. I'm looking to purchase a Spey Set-up but i'm not to sure where to start. I want a rod that would be good for some Northwest steelhead and salmon fishin, so I was thinking something in the 7-8 wt class. But I also want to be able to use the same setup on the Bow, so i'm leaning more towards a 7wt. I don't want to spend a fortune on everything, so my price range is probably ~$300-500 on the rod, and about $150-200 on the reel, and I know the lines run about $100. I've been looking at the Sage VT2's, and a few other rods, but they all seem fairly similar to me. Can anyone make a suggestion on what they would be leaning towards? I haven't had a chance to give any rods a test yet, but that is something I'm gonna do in the next few weeks. Also, i've heard a lot about "switch" rods, but i'm not really sure what that means, and how it differs from a regular spey. The key for me is to be able to get the line out far and cover a lot of water with little to no back cast room. I would purchase a used set-up from a FFC member, but this is going to be my X-mas gift from the folks, so it's probably out of the question.

Thanks for the input.

Drew

First off, I don't know that a rod suitable for steelhead and salmon is really going to be much fun for trout. You probably wouldn't want to use the same single handed rod for all of them either. That's just my opinion, though.

At the price point you're looking at you should check out Amundson, Echo, Beulah, TFO, and Snowbee off the top of my head. The Sage VT2 is worth a look as well, but you should be aware that the 7130 you're probably looking at is considered by most to be closer to an 8wt. The thing with all these rods is that they have significantly different actions so you really want to cast a few of them on the water to see which suits you best. Also, what kind of lines are you primarily looking at using on the rod?

The eternal, never-ending search for the rod that "does everything". For the Bow, a 6wt(spey rating) is plenty, a 7wt is overkill. For NW coastal rivers and steelhead/salmon, a 7wt is too light, it just will not cut it.

You want to get a spey? Get one that you will use the majority of the time. The compromise you want is too wide a range. You won't be happy with either application.

j

Just realized that neither one of us answered your switch rod question. A switch rod can be defined a couple of ways, but it's most commonly a rod longer than a single hander but shorter than most spey rods that can be cast two-handed overhead, one-handed overhead (though tiring), and spey cast. In my view they're good for water where you don't need to make very long casts but still want to use say a scandi or skagit head with sink tips to swing flies. Lots of guys use them two hand overhead for casting off the beach into the surf too.

Can you off the christmas present for a while? Take a trip to the expo in Jan, talk to some people, and cast some rods. See which rod feels the best to you.

That might be a good idea.

I see what most people are saying, the range is to broad... I tend to agree. Maybe I should just go for the 8wt salmon/ steelie rod and maybe look at a 6 wt spey later down the line for the bow.

Thanks for answering the switch question, thats what i thought it was, but just wanted confirmation.

I've been searching online for rods in that price range, and each manufacturer seems to have a couple near that $$$. The manufacturer listed above seem to have more than a few in the $3-400 range.

I like the prospects of being able to cast larger flies, longer distances without getting the excessively sore shoulder syndrome (ESSS...lol)

thanks for the input so far.

The Loop 7120 multi bridges the gap between heavy Trout and light Steelhead(ie Bulkley) and Salmon(Coho/Pinks) perfectly.

Brian Niska

My wife has the Loop 7120 multi and it is a sweet little rod, we have used it for salmon, steelhead and on the Bow.

Here is what I suggest.

Go out and try a bunch of diffrent types of rods, if you wanna try out the Loop Multi 7120, just pm me and we can hit FC and you can try it out.

The reason why I am saying try diffrent rods out is purely for the action of the rod, some people like fast rods while others like a mid flex to progressive full flex, etc.......

I'll talk to gregg (toolman) and see if we can get a spey gathering togather for people that are intrested in trying out diffrent rods.

BTW if you are looking for a reel I have a lamson Velocity v4 gun metal blue that I am not sure if I am going to use it or not, but if I do I am looking at roughly $200 might go lower but I really need the money so we will see.

[quote name='bhurt' date='Dec 1 2009, 02:14 PM' post='1086

I'll talk to gregg (toolman) and see if we can get a spey gathering togather for people that are intrested in trying out diffrent rods.

That would be cool....its always good to try a few different rods and lines out

Here is what I suggest.

Go out and try a bunch of diffrent types of rods, if you wanna try out the Loop Multi 7120, just pm me and we can hit FC and you can try it out.

The reason why I am saying try diffrent rods out is purely for the action of the rod, some people like fast rods while others like a mid flex to progressive full flex, etc.......

BTW if you are looking for a reel I have a lamson Velocity v4 gun metal blue that I am not sure if I am going to use it or not, but if I do I am looking at roughly $200 might go lower but I really need the money so we will see.

BHURT is correct with his suggestions...you have some time ,perhaps, be wise...make sure the rod,Line and reel match your style and interests...check out the poll on favorite rods for your area to really get a few ideas...Big rods have similar characteristics to Single handers,slow,fast,moderate,and so on..

C

Thanks for all the suggestions! I would love to try out a few different rods and have a little FFC gathering down in Fish Creek or somehere on the river. Maybe when the next chinook hits because it looks like the next week at least will be nice and chilly.

Drew