Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Boots

Birddog

I should qualify my response as I have a very hard to fit foot (narrow) so some of the boot manufactures I couldn't even consider (even with neo stocking feet)... I think Simms fit very wide, Patagonia, not so much!!

P

I have that same problem, narrow foot, and was lead to the Simms L2 Wading boot last year by the guys at Country Pleasures. Fits great, and is comfortable too. They were clearing them out as the model was discontinued and was a felt sole, so I got them for 50% off, which was a great deal.

Considering the Riversheds as my next boot.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the "L" is for ladies!! LoL!! Just kidding!! That's good to know! Thanks!

P

I have that same problem, narrow foot, and was lead to the Simms L2 Wading boot last year by the guys at Country Pleasures. Fits great, and is comfortable too. They were clearing them out as the model was discontinued and was a felt sole, so I got them for 50% off, which was a great deal.

Considering the Riversheds as my next boot.

I have the Riversheds with Vibram which I got late in the season but they are very comfortable and I was impressed overall with the vibram sole. However, the first pair I got only lasted a day on the Ram when I noticed the vibram sole peeling off the boot near the toe. I immediately contacted Simms and they had me send the boots in. I'll admit it was very inconvenient being that these boots were only a day old, however the customer service was exceptional from Simms. I had a brand new replacement within a couple weeks. The only issue I have is I paid good money for these boots and during my "repair process" I was contacted by the regional rep (out of Vancouver I believe) who mentioned he has seen this problem occur a few times. He said it appears to be a design defect, however I was assurred the soles would not peel past the stitching that holds the sole to the bottom of the boot. Anybody else have an issue like this? I have heard very good things about this boot, hence why I decided to buy them.

I know it's been discussed in previous threads but I have heard that there are way too many quality control issues with Korkers (specifically with their interchangeable soles staying on) - though I have no personal experience with Korkers, it's just what has come up in previous threads...

P

Full season on mine, and as anyone who has fished with me this year can attest, that included a TON of walking/hiking. Never had a drop of trouble with the interchangeables coming off. I did have some grit get in the BOA and had to open it up to clean it out once. I did wear out a pair of felts and just bought their version of the vibram with the studs. Trying them out tomorrow. Love the boots.

So how long are these Korkers felts lasting?

I'm changing mine after 1 season. But I did a lot of hiking on them when I should have switched over to my hiking soles. Just lazy.

I don't know if I'm going to get new felts yet. Depends on how the vibram does.

No, all the previous discussion had been about the interchangeable sole coming off consistently, but it sounds like they remedied the situation...

P

Uber - It's the Korkers "Cross Currents" that seem to have the issue with the seams coming apart around the toes.

I tried out the new Korkers "Klingon" sticky rubber soles with studs on the snot rocks of the North Thompson two weeks ago, I think that studded felts work a bit better, but I had no slipping issues with the studded rubber. No problems in the snow, either.

j

Korkers are a good boot. They feel like you are wearing very light hiking boots.

But they aren't indestructable, I have blown through 2 pairs in two seasons. But with the one year warranty that they have, I really have only blown through 1 pair in two years.

Im not sure which model they were, but I had a pair of Korkers a couple years ago that had the toe seams basically disintigrate and the felt worn off 2/3's of the way through the season. Sure, they fit a bit tight so that may have contributed to the seams, but never used a pair of Korkers since.

Wow! I surprised that Korkers only give a 1 year warranty when Simms and Patagonia give a life time warranty!!

P

Korkers are a good boot. They feel like you are wearing very light hiking boots.

But they aren't indestructable, I have blown through 2 pairs in two seasons. But with the one year warranty that they have, I really have only blown through 1 pair in two years.

Wow! I surprised that Korkers only give a 1 year warranty when Simms and Patagonia give a life time warranty!!

P

I think the Korkers are also less expensive than the Simms and Patagonia boots. Remember, the warranty is always built into the price. The lifetime warranties usually only cover manufacturer defect - with Simms the first repair is free and after that you have to pay. I'll still take the Simms over Korkers any day, but that's a personal preference.

Hey Marc,

Yeah, I totally figured that... But yeah, personally I'd pay the extra as well, but everyone has their own preference...

Interesting that Simms doesn't cover their products for the lifetime of the product as what if the replacement has the same flaw as the original (obvious manufacture defect).. Seems odd that they wouldn't cover it as well?!

P

I think the Korkers are also less expensive than the Simms and Patagonia boots. Remember, the warranty is always built into the price. The lifetime warranties usually only cover manufacturer defect - with Simms the first repair is free and after that you have to pay. I'll still take the Simms over Korkers any day, but that's a personal preference.

I'm changing mine after 1 season. But I did a lot of hiking on them when I should have switched over to my hiking soles. Just lazy.

I don't know if I'm going to get new felts yet. Depends on how the vibram does.

Don't throw out your worn felts. I drilled some roofing screws in mine, and I have been using them for winter fishing. They work pretty well...

Hey Marc,

Yeah, I totally figured that... But yeah, personally I'd pay the extra as well, but everyone has their own preference...

Interesting that Simms doesn't cover their products for the lifetime of the product as what if the replacement has the same flaw as the original (obvious manufacture defect).. Seems odd that they wouldn't cover it as well?!

P

Simms has a first year fix free, then a lifetime manufacturer warranty after that point.

Don't throw out your worn felts. I drilled some roofing screws in mine, and I have been using them for winter fishing. They work pretty well...

thanks Crogg. I'll do that!

And why do these things always have to turn into "my boots are better than your boots?" I have the Korkers and really like them. My bet is if I had bought the Simms, I'd really like them too. Same with Patagonia.

Simms has a first year fix free, then a lifetime manufacturer warranty after that point.

Yeah, that's what it is. It's a true warranty unlike a lot of the fly rod ones. Manufacturer defect is lifetime warranty without charge. Repairs will cost you money, though the first repair is free.

Ok I'm confused... 1st year and lifetime 2 different things?

Oh... I think I get it... If it's your own fault they will fix it for free within the 1st year, but you pay for the repair after that. If it's a manufacture defect, then the Lifetime Warranty kicks in?!

Makes sense, now!

P

thanks Crogg. I'll do that!

And why do these things always have to turn into "my boots are better than your boots?" I have the Korkers and really like them. My bet is if I had bought the Simms, I'd really like them too. Same with Patagonia.

It all boils down to fit and comfort,everybody has different feet.Get what feels good.

Rick, probably becuase the original poster asked for "our" recomendations, and therefore our opinions (and we are all overly comfortable sharing those ;))! And there are as many opinions as members on here... So hopefully we all assisted him with choosing some new boots... Thankfully we only gave him "advice" on 3 brands as opposed to the many, many more available!

P

And why do these things always have to turn into "my boots are better than your boots?"

And why do these things always have to turn into "my boots are better than your boots?"

Same reason that every rod thread turns into "my rod is better than your rod". :devil:

Seriously, I think it's just because everyone wants to think their stuff is the best (because why wouldn't they have bought the best?) and loves their stuff so much they want everyone else to love it as much. I'll bet it happens on every other forum out there: Chevy vs Ford, LCD vs plasma, Mac vs PC, Shimano vs Berkley, etc.