Fly Fusion Forums

Considering Self-inflating Pfd

Gang,

With recent events at Police Outpost Lake I am considering purchasing a self inflating PFD similar to the Mustang "Airforce" with hydrostatic valve (automatically inflates when immersed in 4" of H2O)...

Has/does anyone use one? Can you give some feedback on which models/brands are best (I have only looked at the Mustang)... I presume there are a couple of places in town to purchase (WSS, TFH - anywhere else - local fly shops)...

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i have seen some guys with them but i like my low profile life jacket. Its thiner in the back so you float chest up if you get knocked out and you can still wear a backpack....next time your on a plane just snag the one under your seat and tape it into your existing vest (dont stitch it!)...

Ha ha, I totally thought of that as well, but I think it's federal offense if you get caught!!

P

i have seen some guys with them but i like my low profile life jacket. Its thiner in the back so you float chest up if you get knocked out and you can still wear a backpack....next time your on a plane just snag the one under your seat and tape it into your existing vest (dont stitch it!)...

I have one of the Mustang inflatable vests, but without the automatic inflating option. It could just be an urban myth, but when I was looking for one I read that the self-inflaters could malfunction and inflate in a heavy rainstorm.

I have no complaints with mine, but do check the CO2 cartridge periodically as they can work loose. I found that out one day when I opened it up to dry out after a storm and the cartridge rolled out on to the floor.

Yeah I read that they were made so that they could not inflate due to rain, splashing, etc.

Thanks for your input.

P

I have one of the Mustang inflatable vests, but without the automatic inflating option. It could just be an urban myth, but when I was looking for one I read that the self-inflaters could malfunction and inflate in a heavy rainstorm.

I have no complaints with mine, but do check the CO2 cartridge periodically as they can work loose. I found that out one day when I opened it up to dry out after a storm and the cartridge rolled out on to the floor.

Peter, I bought one a couple of years ago. Mine isn't the self inflating kind but the kind where you have to pull the cord also. The reason I stayed away from the hydrostatic type was a thought that it may inflate if you got splashed and soaked the PFD. I have since heard that the hydrostatic style will not inflate unless it is activated by a certain amount of water pressure ie:submerged in 4" of water. As far as practicality goes, its great for floating the Bow or other water. It's compact enough to wear comfortably underneath my fishing vest. The hydrostatic type was more expensive as well.

Murray

Thanks Murray and everyone else for posting your comments... I think I will go with the hydrostatic model even though it's more expensive... Reason would be that if you are on an ice shelf (in the winter/spring) and it breaks and you fall in, or given the situation Jeff was in out at P O L (extreme cold water temp) in a panic state it might take you a while to pull the rip cord (if at all)... A little added security...

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, I bought one a couple of years ago. Mine isn't the self inflating kind but the kind where you have to pull the cord also. The reason I stayed away from the hydrostatic type was a thought that it may inflate if you got splashed and soaked the PFD. I have since heard that the hydrostatic style will not inflate unless it is activated by a certain amount of water pressure ie:submerged in 4" of water. As far as practicality goes, its great for floating the Bow or other water. It's compact enough to wear comfortably underneath my fishing vest. The hydrostatic type was more expensive as well.

Murray

I have the mustang auto inflator. I went with the auto model because I figured if you are unconscious the little yellow tab is no good....

The way it works is there is a little disk that is packed with some water soluble powder, it is inside the flap on the life jacket and well protected from accidental splashes or rain. I never never had an issue with the jacket inflating at the wrong time by itself. I did once hook my fly line around and it yanked on the line to unsnag it. 5 seconds and one brain freeze later I found that the jacket works fine......

I know my uncle picked up a bunch of the manual ones at an auction a little while ago. They are all brand new and in the package, if you are interested in a manual one PM me and I can ask him if he has any left.

I agree!

I think I'll buy new... Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers,

P

I have the mustang auto inflator. I went with the auto model because I figured if you are unconscious the little yellow tab is no good....

The way it works is there is a little disk that is packed with some water soluble powder, it is inside the flap on the life jacket and well protected from accidental splashes or rain. I never never had an issue with the jacket inflating at the wrong time by itself. I did once hook my fly line around and it yanked on the line to unsnag it. 5 seconds and one brain freeze later I found that the jacket works fine......

I know my uncle picked up a bunch of the manual ones at an auction a little while ago. They are all brand new and in the package, if you are interested in a manual one PM me and I can ask him if he has any left.

ÜberFly,

I have a Nautilus, my wife a Mustang. Both are built by CDN companies and have DFO approvals for non-powered craft. Both are available in CDN stores. Get it - buy CDN.

The DFO approvals are key. The stuff that Cabella's + others sell have US Coast Guard approvals but not DFO approvals. The Cabella's stuff is illegal to use in Canada.

Don

Thanks Don, I'm well aware of the Canadian approval for the Canadian Coast Guard and Department of Transportation and/or Department of Fisheries and Oceans and must have one if not all to be apprved for use in Canada

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...s/few_words.htm

Thanks for your input.

Peter

ÜberFly,

I have a Nautilus, my wife a Mustang. Both are built by CDN companies and have DFO approvals for non-powered craft. Both are available in CDN stores. Get it - buy CDN.

The DFO approvals are key. The stuff that Cabella's + others sell have US Coast Guard approvals but not DFO approvals. The Cabella's stuff is illegal to use in Canada.

Don