Fly Fusion Forums

Weirder Fish Of The Day!

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher
Fine looking specimen. It's not good when they do those fast runs into the side of your boat.

LOL...I was thinking it looked like a sackum brothers attempt to keep a fish under the size limit in Duck...

• 2 weeks later...

Her nose is curled around into her mouth. The genes didn't get expressed right. It will be interesting to see how good of a hunter she is. It might be hard to hook her with a tiny dry in May. I will do my best.

Hey Jeff, that looks like a Pennask fish

Her nose is curled around into her mouth. The genes didn't get expressed right. It will be interesting to see how good of a hunter she is. It might be hard to hook her with a tiny dry in May. I will do my best.

Hey Jeff, that looks like a Pennask fish

She might be able to fit a dry in er yap :P ...All pun aside, Things do go wrong in the hatchery, no body is perfect, and I can vouch for that ..lol......A lot of it has to do with Chemicals added to the water to prevent disease, while the fish are being raised in the hatchery and or hatched...I know why a few things happen to fish, but not sure whats wrong with these above pug nose Bows...Ill do some research/talk to Bio's and try to find an answer...Let yas know...

Monger, your right, is a Pennask....

Here is an example of Bulls from a hatchery that had under developed gill plates and some missing pectoral fins or on occasions-both (gill plates and fins). ... All it took was a very small mis-calculation of Chems....Dont forget, Our Bio's do their very very best to raise these fish to keep up with supply and demand on a tight budget...And In no instance am I givin the Bio's a hard time....They care very much for the fish they raise and stock...I know 1st hand...

Cheers...Jeff..

016-5.jpg

097-1.jpg

167-1.jpg

Some diggin around revealed, The Fish at Sundance lake were from a private fish farmer (please Correct me if Im wrong)..With water temps at the higher end of the range ie., makes the eggs develop faster and that can cause skeletal and cranial abnormalities. That is about all I could come up with...

Cheers...Jeff..

Water temp...The trout farm is situated along a gravel plain with a huge flow of ground water that flows through irrigation-like ditches. I would imagine the water temps are quite stable and low for the most part. I think there is another cause in this case.

monger, I bet that water from the gravel would be Cold!!, Never knew the facts of the private hatchery...Thanx monger, for the info...It just maybe random genetic mutation that has disfigured these Bows...However, from what I understand there is a good chance, it is a hatchery related instance (no body's at fault)...But who the heck knows...They are definitely freaky lookin fish :wacko: and seem to maintain great health...Goes to show how strong trout are...As most of us know, Rainbows (Oncorhynchus mykiss), are a species of salmonid...Very strong back ground of reproductivity and all around health , unless introduced to over harvesting, pollution and loss of habitat...We have to, and we do, show trout up most respect, but on the same token, people get so damn up tight to see a pic of a trout being so called miss handled, or slightly on the rocks or weeds (not on this thread)....I mean there is a line to be drawn....O.k, where am I goin with this???...uhmmm..Sorry, just got carried away I guess...Bottom line is, trout are tougher than most make them out to be....Not meaning we can hold them out of the water for minutes on end for measurements, pics ect., or let them flop around on rocks or grass....From my own experience, I find trout have a much better recovery rate than Pike, Walleye White fish, Goldeye, pearch ect...Ill stop ramblin on... :D:rolleyes:...

Cheers...Jeff..

Guest Sundancefisher
monger, I bet that water from the gravel would be Cold!!, Never knew the facts of the private hatchery...Thanx monger, for the info...It just maybe random genetic mutation that has disfigured these Bows...However, from what I understand there is a good chance, it is a hatchery related instance (no body's at fault)...But who the heck knows...They are definitely freaky lookin fish :wacko: and seem to maintain great health...Goes to show how strong trout are...As most of us know, Rainbows (Oncorhynchus mykiss), are a species of salmonid...Very strong back ground of reproductivity and all around health , unless introduced to over harvesting, pollution and loss of habitat...We have to, and we do, show trout up most respect, but on the same token, people get so damn up tight to see a pic of a trout being so called miss handled, or slightly on the rocks or weeds (not on this thread)....I mean there is a line to be drawn....O.k, where am I goin with this???...uhmmm..Sorry, just got carried away I guess...Bottom line is, trout are tougher than most make them out to be....Not meaning we can hold them out of the water for minutes on end for measurements, pics ect., or let them flop around on rocks or grass....From my own experience, I find trout have a much better recovery rate than Pike, Walleye White fish, Goldeye, pearch ect...Ill stop ramblin on... :D:rolleyes:...

Cheers...Jeff..

In the absence of predation...there are lots of deformities that develop and survive. In the wild...most fish with misshapen spines, blunt noses, misshapen maxilla, missing caudal peduncles etc. would have been caught and eaten. In a stocked lake scenario...anything that can make it to enough pellets to survive can end up getting stocked. Depending upon the food source at their lake destination...they can continue to eat and grow...albeit slower than a normal formed fish.

At Lake Sundance this is clearly evident in the numerous misshapen perch. While limited genetics will increase these genetic abnormalities...there are no predators to remove any of them so it just seems like our lake is ripe with them. In fact...in a natural lake...large numbers of deformed fish just get eaten and never grow up.

As for trout...I once electrofished at 5 lb bull trout...operated on it after knocking it out, implanted a radio telemetry tag...revived the bull trout...transported upstream into the Oldman Reservoir, then electrofished it again weeks later downstream of the dam only to find out the tag had been ripped out from going over the spillway. Only the floy tag showed which fish it was...plus the incision scar and the ripped scar. Amazing the bully survived but I gained a lot of respect for these native trout.

Sun

• 5 months later...

Sure he looks healthy and strong now, but how long before the peer pressure to conform with societal norms pushes him to alienate himself from mainstream waters, grow his hair long and pull a " Joaquin Phoenix" and disappear into the weeds of obscurity.

Sure he looks healthy and strong now, but how long before the peer pressure to conform with societal norms pushes him to alienate himself from mainstream waters, grow his hair long and pull a " Joaquin Phoenix" and disappear into the weeds of obscurity.

Emo-trout?