Fly Fusion Forums

November Photo Of The Month Official Entries Only

This is the place to enter your photos.

The theme for this month is Reels. Let's see how creative you can get with this theme

1st place winner will receive a 1 yr magazine subscription from the contest sponsor; http://www.flyfusionmag.com

Don't forget:

You retain all rights to your photos, but by submitting, they are agreeing to let us use it on the website.

Submissions are open to all FFC members in good standing.

You must submit a short write up about your image, eg; what you like about it, how it may inspire you …..that sort of thing 50-100 words (required for use in a monthly article for the site)

Do not disclose locations for lesser known or sensitive waters.

Limit of one photo per post.....this for making judging format easier to accomplish

Deadline: Nov. 30

Winners will be announced first week of December

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

reels136.jpg

Well since nobody wants to start this months photo challange i'll throw one out there.

Here is a picture of the new G-Lommis reel i picked up this year with a nice back drop of one of my favorite southern alta rivers ragging in the back, I like tis picture because it reminds me of good trips with good friend to sweet places! can't wait for next summer

-My Lucky Birthday Reel-

My brother & his wife bought this reel for my birthday. I had hinted that I could use a new reel for my 2wt, & he found a deal on this one in June.

My birthday is in August, but my bro figured it made no sense to wait; he was right, that reel had landed lots of good fish by the time August rolled around. On the day this picture was taken, I landed an 18" & a 19" brown trout on consecutive casts on a small creek. On other trips to the same water, I was lucky enough to land a 21" & a 25" brown. Yep, this Orvis 2wt is definitely my lucky reel! The sketch on the rock is a nod to my favorite fishing forum... ;)

p7030380.jpg

post-1222-1258131583.jpg

i purchased this tioga reel from a board memeber for my steelhead trip this fall.

first fish it played was a 15 lb chum, and the handle fell off :D which made for a very sporting fight.

fortunately i had brought the spare spool along and was able to switch my line over.

the other spool was fine and it landed many nice fish during the trip,

this was taken during a day on a remote river that reminded my what steelhead fever is all about.

This picture was taken this summer on a heli trip to a golden trout lake. Bought my dad the trip for his 71st birthday. He was on a personal mission the last couple of years to catch all the trout species on a fly rod. Seeing as how he couldn't make the hike into a golden trout lake I figured it would be a pretty good present for him to check that one off his list. My good friend and fishing buddy Kyle joined us. This photo of my 3wt set up reminds me of the fun we had catching these beautiful little trout and the scenery that surrounded us. The view over the cliff behind my rod of the valley below is one I won't forget.

post-1098-1258146233.jpg

This photo is from another trip with my dad down to the Big Hole river in Montana. We went on an early spring trip so the water was high and off color. Fishing was tough but when we found these stones and tied on that pattern we started getting some bows and a few brookies too. Was another good trip exploring new water with my dad that I won't forget.

post-1098-1258146632.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

This photo was taken by Kris Maier of Prince George, BC of my Wind Warrior spey rod and matching reel. Winter on the Nechako River. It was "commissioned' as a website and catalog photo. I thought it showed an unusual level of "artistic license" with the coiled line and subdued lighting effect.

j

Six_Lovelies.jpg

I have an ingrained softness in the head for Islander Reels, obviously. This is a photo in my gallery entitled "Six Lovelies".

In spite of the opportunistic collecting, they are all very well used. My stillwater favourite is the green IR4LA, it was a Christmas gift from two very special friends, Barry Stokes, GM of Islander and Brian Chan, a virtually unknown flyfisher who lives in Kamloops. :)

He has TWO of them !!

Spinning_Green_Islander.jpg

My "other favourite" is the FR3 Spey Reel, a gift (complete with spey rod) from my current wife, on our 30th Anniversary.

j

This photo is old but I like the way you get a sense of the current with the line curling around the rock. On this particular day the fishing had been particularly good, I had just caught my biggest bull to date on this bushy dry from a ridiculously tiny pocket up against a rock ledge. I moved him once and missed him and on the third drift I nailed him with no more than 15' of line out. He came to 22" and was a real fathead. My arms were shaking and I needed to cool off after that so I snapped a few shots. Didn't manage any of the bully ;).

P7210016-1.jpg

IMGP0010.jpg

This months theme is reels, and this reel has been around for a while, approx 1800+/-. the fly on top is one of only two, it was made from hair from my German Shepherd Dog, Fischer, it was made for a heroic Police service dog from BC, who had past on.

The reel is a all brass reel, not marked but marked up some, it was found in a home near Loch Lamond lake. The home belonged to Charlies Baillie, a famous Rod maker who was a contemporary of the Leonard's of Maine and other famous rod makers. I have other artifacts from the home. I chose this reel for the display as I could picture the fly, reel and an old bamboo or Lancewood rod being fished for a massive sea run Atlantic Salmon..

I'm not as photo savvy as most of my ff colleagues, but on this sunny August day after I put my rod down on the ground to land the smallish cutthroat, then later when I went to pick up the rod again after the release, I liked how the clear water was cascading over the reel and the few water droplets on the reel seat would make a nice photo.

IMGP0284-1.jpg

post-1435-1259568630.jpg

worn boots , meiser rod , classic old Dingley fly reel with brass round line guide , and a box full of big drys bombers ,

one can tell from the picture that it was a good long day of fishing by the worn out boots , only thing missing is a bottle of Crown to sip on , i collect and fish these classic reels and with the Meiser spey rod , well , it just don't get any better unless your hooked up and running down the bank with almost all your backing gone

hope you enjoy my picture

These are a pair of Pflueger Gems, they have enjoyed life in our family for a great many years, A solid workhorse still I take them out occasionally to play. In my younger days reels held fly line. Now they need to have personality, life and history and better still, memories.

gems.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-2166-1261012453.jpg

Fishing with my buddy on Cataract Creek, thought the Brookie had amazing colors so I snapped a shot. Was taken a few years ago, back when the fishing get togethers were easier to plan. Seemed like every available weekend was a trip to a new stream, now it takes some careful planning a couple months in advance, and some understanding wife's, but we still make it happen. Thinking about it gets me excited, can't wait for next summer.

sorry for the late responce on this one ladies and gents, the ffc team got caught up in some holiday stuff and this one slipped us by! we will get the results up shortly! and a few months worth of photo contest in te new year aswell!!! happy holidays yall!