Fly Fusion Forums

Weeds When Nymphing And Leader/tippet Size

Xplorer

Hey guys,

I fished the bow in the south for the first time and I picked up alot of weeds. I know that the weeds in the south are a normal deal but I was wondering if there is anyway to reduce the amount of weeds caught?

I usually nymph with 2 flies, with the order from top to bottom on the leader being indicator,6 feet, swivel, weight, 8" tippet, nymph,12" tippet, nymph. Would shortening the distance from indicator to fly help to keep the flies from dragging as much? Is there a way to move the weight lower on the line and the nymphs up that still keeps the nymphs close to the bottom?

I was wondering about leader and tippet size. I usually use 5x for both but got broke off twice yesterday down south.

So for nymphing whats everybody recommend on the bow in the South?

Thanks

Sounds like you are just running it a little deep to me. I change my depth often pending on weed pick up, moving spots or lack of strikes.

As for tippet. I don't generally use less than x3 on the bow as them fish are strong! Plus it is not going to spook them nymphing. I have a few buddies who don't use tippet at all. They prefer products like Berkly Vanish 6 or 8 lb as it is cheaper. I still prefer tippet myself

The south is where it is at buddy! Tight lines!

you could have bin running a little too deap. this month with all the weed growth dying off there are tons of em floating mid water column so its just the usual for teh time of year! its frustrating bt it happens.. try a little shorter enxt time but my guess is its more the dead stuff floating in teh current that is getting ya! in teh summer i usually run shorter or hopper dropper too stay of the beds!

I may be drinking again but I go against all I have read or heard guys on here doing. I putt my weights on the bottom. yeah yeah I know. But it works like a charm. I actually got it from a guide I had one day and have used it ever sence.

Here is my set up........ depth will vary some depending on water.

post-1486-1256270472.jpg

Thanks max........ i couldnt change it cause it works but it was crazy hearing all the different way and I never heard anyone explain this one. Even reading in different books they always have the weight above all the flies......

Thanks max........ i couldnt change it cause it works but it was crazy hearing all the different way and I never heard anyone explain this one. Even reading in different books they always have the weight above all the flies......

I used to do that, but then I found that anytime a hooked fish jumped, the weight would get thrown around and turn the whole thing into a bird's nest.

Lately I've been cutting my leader about a foot above the point (heavier) fly and tying it back on with a surgeon's knot. This way I can add lead as required above the knot without having to worry about it slipping down against the point fly. Thought it was rather clever, but I'm probably not the first to think of this.

Yeah as others have mentioned (and use) instead of tying that surgeons knot to keep your shot from slipping, you can also use a swivel which also adds weight and therefore you use less lead (I find less birdnests, especially with mulitple rigs, as well)... For a typical nymphing rig, I use a 7.5' 1X or 2X leader tied to a swivel then 12" - 18" of 6 - 8 lb maxima so first fly sits at around 9' (for the Bow). I then adjust my strike indicator to vary the depth... Works for me!

Cheers,

P

I used to do that, but then I found that anytime a hooked fish jumped, the weight would get thrown around and turn the whole thing into a bird's nest.

Lately I've been cutting my leader about a foot above the point (heavier) fly and tying it back on with a surgeon's knot. This way I can add lead as required above the knot without having to worry about it slipping down against the point fly. Thought it was rather clever, but I'm probably not the first to think of this.

Right now, 6' from indi to point fly made up of 20-12-8 lb maxima (20lb holds the thingabobbers), 12" of 6lb p-line, next fly, 12" p-line third fly. I like to use lighter tippet on the bottom fly(flies), that way on snags, you only lose one or two flies. P-line is incredible.

I get around this by tying the flies "in-line" rather than on the tag ends. (leader into eye of fly, next section to the next fly gets tied onto the shank of first fly, then second fly tied on by the eye, then second section of line down to the split shots gets tied onto the shank of the second fly.)

No tangles, no problems... but you gotta keep line section "2" (the one between bottom fly and weight) short... about 6 inches max... I use even less. You want that fly to be within 3 inches of the bottom. I dont use an indicator when I nymph this way either.

BUT in saying that... this was a post about how to avoid weeds.... which... a heavy rig like this skipping along the bottom wont do, unless you can find channels in the weed beds with a rocky bottom (which is what I do) and you'll certainly find fish there as they are feeding lanes.