Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying?

headscan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got another dozen tied last night to add to my winter nymph collection will post later as I am currently at work.

Nebc, nice flies dude, looks good and should catch something.

wolfie, only one fly? Looks great and I would chuck that on the bow for sure.

bhurt...colourful little bugs ...lol..well no sense in showing all of the flies I've tied...but I'm real sure if we fish together..you will catch fish on my flies.........cya m8...good fishing..........Wolfie

A glass-bead caddis larvae, boatman, backswimmer (I think I got the names right this time?), and a micro leech.

post-2231-1255661710.jpg

Ice fishing is approaching and I wanted to try some flies that might work besides wire worms. I also tied the backswimmer with the hook upside down that I'm going to try through a hole when I can't swing a fly anymore.

Cheers.

Invermere,

Take note of the porpotions of the fly, I like to tie my bodies roughly around 3/4 of the hook and the thorax, head, etc... is about 1/4

Not sure your level of tieing but one thing I have to keep on reminding myself alot of time is less is best, I can always add a little more dubing if needed.

IN deep water I like to tie with a tungsted beed so it can drop fast and stay on the bottom as that is where the trout would most likely find the rest of the caddis larva.

There are some awesome ties in this thread, nice job guys. My latest are some stone-buggers. Had a lot of success on the Bow with them this year.

LastRoll-10.jpg

Excellent Stone there Jordo.

It is going to drive me nuts trying to figure how the segmented body was tied so I have to ask... Tried fooling with this but it never turned out like yours! LOL.

There are some awesome ties in this thread, nice job guys. My latest are some stone-buggers. Had a lot of success on the Bow with them this year.

LastRoll-10.jpg

LOVE the pattern, GREAT job.

Do you have a step by Step for it? If not, how about a materials list.

Rick

LOVE the pattern, GREAT job.

Do you have a step by Step for it? If not, how about a materials list.

Rick

Thanks, for those that are interested the pattern was featured on Sport Fishing on the Fly a while back, they were using them on the Columbia and I figured it'd be gangbusters on the Bow. Tied up a bunch last spring and they have been deadly. I checked the SFOTF website and they have the recipe and tying instructions Here. I like mine with a Cone Head as it adds extra weight.

One thing i found with the red cronies is that sparce is better ,My skinny ones out fish the fat ones.

The ones on the right are a lot skinnier than the ones with the white beads. I've had roughly equal luck with both and found it depends on the fish's mood, phase of the moon, and alignment of the stars (in other words I have no clue why they take one over the other on different days).

sorry guys but still tying up Leeches...the latest one..............Wolfie

ajxcia.jpg

Wolfie, that's one nice Leech, I've been tying something similar. As soon as I find the camera I'll post a photo.