Fly Fusion Forums

Fisheries Round Table Cancelled

The Fisheries Round Table was established some 7 or so years ago. This group was used as a major public input to the Fisheries Department. Consisting of a very diverse group in no particular order: AFGA (all zones), Trout Unlimited, AHEA, ACA, Fishery Enchancement Society, Walleye Council, Commercial Fishermen, Metis Association,Treaty 8 Aboriginal, Retailers, Media, Northern Lights Fly Tyers, Edmonton Trout Club and Edmonton Oltimers. My apologies if I missed any one.

The first couple of years was 1 - 2 hr. evening meeting. This was further expanded to a full day both spring and fall. All participants were all there on their own time and without compensation. As Always the venue was always represented by all groups.

As you could tell by the diversity of the group the opinions were originally on the opposite side of the fence. Over the years you could see the groups with very opposite views being able to come to concensus on a number of issues for the benefit of fishery.

The original Date for this Fall was Oct. 17 it was cancelled Sept 4 citing budget cutbacks

a second Date was set for Oct. 24 noticfication sent out Sept 11 after Beaver River AFGA and the WilVil Walleye Club offerred to host the event.

Today Oct. 9 CANCELLED again this time citing time for proper organization.

I know there are a number of Round Table Participants on this Board. Your Thoughts Please

Someone from Calgary showed up to the last one so they thought hell was freezing over and cancelled.

All kidding aside it's a shame if they don't reschedule but it seems someone called there bluff on the budget cuts by offering up some free space now they are backpedaling.

Folks,

The list of contentious issues as detailed in Red Deer a couple of years ago have in the large part been dealt with.

While it makes some sense re-visiting them from time to time, the biggy's were about done.

And please pass along the name of the person from Calgary who attended - other than TUC's paid representative.

I just knew that among 1.100,000 people there might be one person interested in Provincial Fisheries Issues.

Damn, I was right - Calgary has yet again done itself proud!

catch ya'

Don

I am not sure if there are several round tables, but I was just invited to one yesterday. It is the prairies and southern rockies area joint round table. Several topics are going to be discussed, with one being proposed regulation changes for Watershed Unit ES1. I am looking forward to it. It all happens on Oct 29th..........

I am not sure if there are several round tables, but I was just invited to one yesterday. It is the prairies and southern rockies area joint round table. Several topics are going to be discussed, with one being proposed regulation changes for Watershed Unit ES1. I am looking forward to it. It all happens on Oct 29th..........

Thats cool man......good luck.