Fly Fusion Forums

A Nice Rainbow...early Afternoon...on A Stocked Lake In Calgary

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Here is a pic of a nice trout I caught today. Still lots of rainbows left. Gotta like it when a lake gets managed better and better.

Cheers

Sun

post-1649-1252277586.jpg

Guest Sundancefisher
sweet. Glad to see they are still in there. I need to get out and catch a couple of those again.

Fought really well...almost tangled up with monger...

Hook set the rod hard into mongers head and lost another one. I figure it was his fault he didn't duck in time.

Throat pumps...chironomids, scuds, leeches, the odd chub minnow, a few mayflies, boatmen, beetles.

30,000+ perch down...only a million more to go. We stopped netting in summer due to high water temps and concern about trout getting stuck in the net. Sundancefisher is still seeing large schools of perch, although he says they appear beefier (from 6" to 7"...think of all those grams of flesh).

Guest Sundancefisher
Yes , Kevin is a very inventive creator of fine flies. I'd be lost without without him giving me the odd fly to use.

hmmmm... just be glad no one has given you a fly in the ear lately.

As for trout eating perch...when perch are in their larval form for the first 30-40 days or so and are found in the middle of the lake near the surface...there is a chance the larger trout feeding out there may target perch. Very large trout may target larger perch but doubtfully anything over 1 inch 2 at the most.

rickr...let's hit the lake there sometime...how about monger and me against you and troutlover?

I can wager a slab of freshly caught lingcod from langara...