Fly Fusion Forums

Palomar Knot

ReelLife

Toolman or others could you describe to me how you do the Palomar knot on the bend of a hook. My clinch knots have not held well :( and so I have lost a couple of nice fish that broke me off each time they jumped out of the water. I am sure my reel drag was fine and I could not even react to them with the positioning of my rod because as soon as they were out of the water they were gone. Any help would be appreciated.

Toolman or others could you describe to me how you do the Palomar knot on the bend of a hook. My clinch knots have not held well :( and so I have lost a couple of nice fish that broke me off each time they jumped out of the water. I am sure my reel drag was fine and I could not even react to them with the positioning of my rod because as soon as they were out of the water they were gone. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

Guest bigbadbrent

Probably stops premature rolling over of the line, or lets your flies roll the line over, not the line itself (line, as in leader)

ReelLife: If your talking about the two fish I saw you lose you have to consider the fact that both of those fish appeared to take a run directly towards your boat, then take a leap. Bad luck. I have had the experience many times where the indicator goes down then a split second later there is a rainbow flying out of the water 20 or 30 feet away from the indicator is. Sometimes it is difficult to know where they are after the initial strike. If you don't feel any pull as soon as the indicator goes down start stripping in the line as fast as you can with your hands, then afterwards if you have control of the fish you can use your reel if you want to.

Another issue that may be of importance is how well pinched your barbs are on the flys you tie other flys to. Although my barbs are pinched down when I tie them, I have noticed that sometimes the side of the barb or the point of the barb will cut through line that is attached to that fly. This could alo be where you are losing flys/fish.

The knot TM showd me rocks using it on the bend..easy to tie and strong..I usally don;t go on the bend but the odd time I do, I use it, I like droppers tied with a blood knot personally and my primary has to be a clinch knot..unless i'm swinging streamers or wets then it's the Palomar all the way...

Keep in mind here that I think ReelLife is talking about lake fishing, not the fishing you guys do on the Bow or larger rivers.

Let me ask this: what are the best knots in your opinion for tieing together 3 chironomids? Or say a leech on top and two chronies below?

ide say wend to bend cuz u want them chronnies hanging straight up maybe a slight angle.....dropper tags would be killer if u were dragging that leech below...eye too eye wouldnt be that great cuz ur chronnies would be sideways....

The Palomar knot is on many web sites, its not much of a secret. Didn't know it was your knot thou Toolman, I've been using it for 20 years, must be a varition.

Actually the Palomar is a normal knot but Toolman has developed a variation of it for hook bend tying that is superb. Very original.

Actually the Palomar is a normal knot but Toolman has developed a variation of it for hook bend tying that is superb. Very original.

I'm sure it is, like I said a variation. Wouldn't mind seeing it, but I doubt I'll be able to take in the clinic, leaving Alberta next week.

I'll post it when I get proper illustrations done, with step by step instructions, as it requires the visual component to make it easy to learn and tie. Hey Doc, could you do the illustrations for it and I can write the text etc?

I'll post it when I get proper illustrations done, with step by step instructions, as it requires the visual component to make it easy to learn and tie. Hey Doc, could you do the illustrations for it and I can write the text etc?

Sure, I'll work on it next week. Spending the weekend on some of the small streams near Sundre.