Fly Fusion Forums

Jamming A Laser In My Eye

Several weeks ago I lost a pair of glasses when a gust of wind blew line in my face just as I was roll casting. I'm wearing my backup pair, but need new ones cuz I hate my backup pair. Combine that with the fact I need new sunglasses (only $600 or so) to go with my new glasses, which I need to combine with bifocals (yay!), led me to finally take the plunge and get lasik.

I am doing wavefront surgery next Wed. Afterwards I will be able to see without glasses, and be better looking than ever! Particularly after I pick up my new, non prescription Maui Jim sunglasses.

Several weeks ago I lost a pair of glasses when a gust of wind blew line in my face just as I was roll casting. I'm wearing my backup pair, but need new ones cuz I hate my backup pair. Combine that with the fact I need new sunglasses (only $600 or so) to go with my new glasses, which I need to combine with bifocals (yay!), led me to finally take the plunge and get lasik.

I am doing wavefront surgery next Wed. Afterwards I will be able to see without glasses, and be better looking than ever! Particularly after I pick up my new, non prescription Maui Jim sunglasses.

Will the wavefront surgery cure the far sightedness? I did the Lasic(sp?) back in 2000, best money I have spent in a long time. But as I get older, I am finding the need for reading glasses.

Will the wavefront surgery cure the far sightedness? I did the Lasic(sp?) back in 2000, best money I have spent in a long time. But as I get older, I am finding the need for reading glasses.

Boris,

They can't do both. In fact, currently I can get by with just lifting my glasses to do up close stuff (a recent development, which I hate!). But once I get the wavefront, then I will probably need reading glasses. I can live with that. I saw Taco with some of those ones that clip on your hat. He was cool almost beyond belief.

The difference, other than cost, of wavefront and traditional lasik is that with wavefront they can cut a flap with more surface area (and thinner I think). This cuts down on the percentage of people who have halos at night caused by the eyes dilating larger than where the cornea has been corrected. In essence, part of the eye is looking through the corrected part and part through the uncorrected part, causing a halo effect. (I'm sure it is more complicated, but that's how I understood it).

Boris,

They can't do both. In fact, currently I can get by with just lifting my glasses to do up close stuff (a recent development, which I hate!). But once I get the wavefront, then I will probably need reading glasses. I can live with that. I saw Taco with some of those ones that clip on your hat. He was cool almost beyond belief.

The difference, other than cost, of wavefront and traditional lasik is that with wavefront they can cut a flap with more surface area (and thinner I think). This cuts down on the percentage of people who have halos at night caused by the eyes dilating larger than where the cornea has been corrected. In essence, part of the eye is looking through the corrected part and part through the uncorrected part, causing a halo effect. (I'm sure it is more complicated, but that's how I understood it).

Thanks for the info and good luck. I hope you're as happy with the Wavefront as I am with the Lasik.

Rick

Where are you getting it done? Coincidentally I just made an appointment with Mitchell for a consultation. I'd be curious to know how your procedure went. Thanks.

N

Thanks Boris...good to know. Does anyone know if there's significant price variation among the practitioners here in Calgary? I imagine they'd be pretty close.

Mitchell did mine, very happy with the results.

Sorry for the Hijack But, if anyone is looking for CHEAP glasses you can check out clearlycontacts.ca out of Vancouver. They will ship to you no money paid (30 days to pay) and if you aren't happy with your glasses, ship them back with the changes and they will ship them back to you. Very good prices on designer frames up to 80% off. I got mine through them for $98 for prescription lenses and frames. You can even take a digital picture of yourself and use it on their site to see how you will look in the pairs that they have for sale. Kinda neat and very cost effective if you may want a couple pairs of glasses.

FHD

Rick I went through the procedure ten years ago at the Gimble clinic and they were top notch. You'll most likely have your vision back the day of the surgery and within a couple days you wont even remember what being blind was like. Expect your brain to play tricks on you for the first while as it adjusts itself to the new vision, but don't let it get to you. Hope everything goes well and your new and improved eyes are everything you hoped them to be.

They fired up the laser and "reshaped" my eye yesterday. Eyes smell like burnt hair when getting reshaped by the way. Procedure is really quick and easy. Recovery was like 6 hrs of minor irritation.

Howeve, i am very disappointed in the result....as I now wish I had done this years ago. Distance vision is already excellent and my near vision good enough to type this on my phone on the way to my post surgery checkup.

So for anyone considering this, lasik MD gets two thumbs way up from me.

They fired up the laser and "reshaped" my eye yesterday. Eyes smell like burnt hair when getting reshaped by the way. Procedure is really quick and easy. Recovery was like 6 hrs of minor irritation.

Howeve, i am very disappointed in the result....as I now wish I had done this years ago. Distance vision is already excellent and my near vision good enough to type this on my phone on the way to my post surgery checkup.

So for anyone considering this, lasik MD gets two thumbs way up from me.

Rick,

Good to hear that everything went fine for you, so what you are now saying is that you can now size your trout acurate?????

Just kidding buddy, we really need to get out on the river on of these days.