Fly Fusion Forums

Ahh...how The South Just Sucks You In!

Wolfie

Left the hustle/bustle of the city, around 7:30am yesterday to meet up with friend, who wanted to show me the hospitality of the Southern Fish..

..now I've only had but one time to see the famous Highwood, which cost me a brand new rod..however..didn't see or wanted to see anything else in the south that day , so this morning was going to be different!

..The morning started off by wet walking and wading..damn that water was bloody cold..it took around one to two minutes to have the feeling of NO Feet or Legs..temp was 8 degrees, and of course, I was in my no slip "so called shoes"...now that was a laugh, at least for my friend, but boy that water was bloody cold..oh I said that already. The first place we stopped was breath taking..at least to me..now this was what I have been seeing here in this forum..a 'fisher's paradise', here and for those that recognize, it please refrain yourselves from blurting out the name.. http://i28.tinypic.com/nz3msh.jpg , http://i32.tinypic.com/2z3t6cl.jpg ...and boy, did this place give up something special or what.. http://i32.tinypic.com/axmats.jpg yepper, a sweet cuttie after the third cast, and on a tiny fly that my friend tied up the night before..just a little grub..the cut was, I believe to be a couple of 2 lbs., but that's not all that this place wanted to give..now how's this for a surprise, just 5 minutes after that sweet cuttie.. http://i30.tinypic.com/15n677q.jpg ..now this male also took that grub, but such a pretty boy he was.

..The remainder of the day, was traveling north, checking out the various small waters for brookies, cutties and such..and testing out my little foam body creations that I had made days before. Those brookies were the most vicious little creatures that I've encountered in a long time ..and thanks to my extra hard tacking those foam bodies lasted the brutal attacks one after another.

..here is a something that I had not seen in years, something that ppl would see up in the big parks , but here in the wild...boy, you Albertans are so lucky.................... now this shot was taken at least 500 yds away and my little camera, I think did quite well..and boy it took everything to keep my Wolf Nikita from charging after them.. http://i32.tinypic.com/2m3lpoh.jpg .

..yes sir..I had one hell of a day, just those two biggins first thing in the morn, but the landscape, the brookies, small cutties, made up the rest of the day for me...took a lot of pics, even met a "Lady Fisher", as her hubby sat and watched her cast to some cutties, well..it looks like the South will see me again rather soon no doubt!

................................................................................

........Wolfie

damn I forgot to mention something of importance..I had a pair of the new "crocs" in my car that I wore to drive in, well after my almost total drink cause of the speed of the water, the temp., and the slickness on top of the rocks..I changed shoes..then it became a pleasure walking and wading...great shoes, those "crocs"...........hahaaa, a simple but effective plug !

........so what did you guys think of my shot of those "sheep"....they really had Nikita all worked up..first time she ever smelt them................Wolfie

.........2m3lpoh.jpg

I'm not sure why but the "sheep" picture reminds me of a paint by numbers canvas. It's kinda like you went into the digital zoom range but I didn't think the finepix f100 had digital zoom. Its a cool effect. Did you crop and enlarge the original picture?

I'm not sure why but the "sheep" picture reminds me of a paint by numbers canvas. It's kinda like you went into the digital zoom range but I didn't think the finepix f100 had digital zoom. Its a cool effect. Did you crop and enlarge the original picture?

kOGSp6ggz69ODmv2Fkb831sVN3c0.gif...wait a minute..first off how did you know what camera I have..QuestionGold.gif..I've not told anyone other than the m8 I was with yesterday.....

...and the answer to the other question ..yes , I cropped it which increased the ability to enlarge it , that is just the area I wanted..the pics come out with 4000x3000 pixels...a great little camera..........................Wolfie

Beauty cutt

My Elkhound always gets the same "come take a sniff privlidge" (without touching, of course) - sometimes I think she enjoys fishing more than me. She can hear the sound of a rod in my hiking tube from half a click away, I always feel bad leaving her home when I am headed to somewhere with canyons and I know she can't follow

Dogs make the best partners with the exception of occaisionally lapping up a big drink out of the hole your working and putting the fish down LOL

Great pics/fish!!!...That is one hell of a spot...Bin goin there since I was young....(up and down river from there)....Kinda Looks like a CuttBow in the one pic??....There are a few CuttBows in that stretch....There are Also some Bows that grow to be giant in that stretch of the river as well...Right on dude...

Cheers...Jeff..

beedhead..no m8 it was a 'cuttie' all the way, and yes I was told that there was cutbows in here as well..

Pipestoneflyguy..so you have a Norwegian Elk Hound, and she could be taken to those canyons, cause the breed is quite suited for mountain climbing...the terrain in Norway is very similar to the rolling hills here in Alberta, a denser population of tress..and Nikita just loves the fishing trips even if it is to Elbow in the city..the sound of fish splashing around because it is hooked turns her on, so I try even harder to bring one in just to watch her "wake up"...and those moments are far and few between................Wolfie

I hear ya - the prob is she has an instinctive tendancy to travel ahead and these separations around canyons are usually where she loses me - happened on Friday, took her an hour to realize I had turned back and was headed back up river - other thiing is the breed hates water, she sees it as death in her mind - I had to carry her across the Bow twice on Friday which can be a little unnerving when the water gets up in the aft - that said she is still my fav partner - on the climbing side I have actually had her on the summit of hector in her younger days LOL

Great pics great fish been fishing that spot and area for a long time.

Beedhead IS correct that is definately a cuttbow. It's showing a LOT of rainbow genetics. Pure westslope cutthroats do not have spots below the lateral line right behind the gills plate, and the spots are much finer. Nevertheless, it's a damn nice fish, congrats! :)