Fly Fusion Forums

Out & About...

SteveM

Hit some small water on Saturday; fishing was slow, but managed a few to hand in a couple different spots...

47961.jpg

47981.jpg

47879.jpg

Found these funky-lookin' mushrooms streamside. Anyone know what they are???

47951c.jpg

This lady hung out for a while at dusk...

48041.jpg

Watched the sun set on my way back to the car...

48011.jpg

On Sunday afternoon, my daughter & I headed to the Highwood to look for snakes; we usually find lots of them out & about

on a sunny afternoon.

Becca @ the Highwood...

48071.jpg

48161.jpg

Showing off my newly chromed dome...

48151r.jpg

There were hundreds of wasps along the shore, but they never seemed to pay any attention to us; this one floated in the surface tension for a minute, then flew off...

48131.jpg

More pics:

Becca...

48391.jpg

Not sure what this fluffy stuff is, but it looked pretty cool up close...

48361.jpg

Found these flowers beside the road...

47889.jpg

48441.jpg

Didn't find any snakes (maybe they knew about the cold front that was coming???), but we did find this little frog...

48241.jpg

Northern Leopard Frog; kinda neat to find one of these endangered critters...

48331.jpg

48301.jpg

48291.jpg

Really cool-looking frog; made up for the lack of snakes!

Another fun weekend in the books, y'all!

Peace out!

Steve

Lordy, lordy. Flowers, weeds, fungi, frogs, bald men, tiny fish and a daughter who would need a dna test to prove to me she's yours. Far too cute to be your progeny.

Looks like fun buddy.

Har-de-har-har!!!!

You funny, Tex!

BTW, I'm still waiting for the call from the Maury Povich show; I'm kinda with you on the DNA thing... :angel:smail:

Nice shots Steve. I remember seeing 1000's of those leopard frogs in just about every slough, pond, puddle when I was a young lad. Wasps have been crazy this year, I have a few nests to deal with in my yard but of course there nesting where its not easy to get at.

The pictures of the leopard frog got me thinking about a survey I recall being done a few years ago. Looking for info on the web led me to the following report (see link below), which shows (Fig. 1) the very sparse distribution of these critters. I note that the figure doesn't show much of a population in the Highwood area, so the folks studying this frog might be interested in your find. BTW, very nice pictures. Terry

http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/...egy-Alberta.pdf

The puff ball mushrooms are very tasty..... if they haven't turned. Cut it open if it is still white flesh it is awesome, if it is brown and gooey it's like someone pooped in your mouth

first off another set of great pics..glad u had a great weekend...now for you Jay...in Ontario those 'puff balls' are bigger than a soccer ball litterly..and I remember my family going on a 'hunt' for them and my Dad came back with one that fed 9 of us, my mom used to cut it up like 'steaks'...great way to get heavy protein.......................Wolfie2352.gif

Cut it open if it is still white flesh it is awesome, if it is brown and gooey it's like someone pooped in your mouth

Thanks for that. The second part sounds relatively yucky. Just curious, does it transition quickly from Awesome to Poo, or is it a gradual decline in eatability? That could be important. I would not want to eat it even if there were mere traces of the pooped in my mouth taste/sensation.

Sorry for stealing your post Steve, but Jay asked for it!