Fly Fusion Forums

Constant Tension Vs. Constant Motion

ScandiCaster

Hello all;

A brief note on a misnomer in terminology.

The style I like best for fishing is called Constant Tension casting. Not Constant Movement casting. What is the difference?

The term “constant movement” suggests that the rod is always in motion. Hence it is always moving. The better way to look at this is as constant tension, where the momentum of the fly line keeps the rod permanently loaded. For the pureists that could read Kinetic energy.

Constant tension casting is based on a series of accelerations, and decelerations, but the LINE is always moving. This means that you may pause the rod at certain locations, accelerate the rod, decelerate the rod, or on occasion stop the rod for a bit. However, the kinetic energy or momentum of the line will maintain loading or tension on the rod. The rod is never unloaded. For example on a switch cast the rod can be swung around and decelerated to form a D loop, or brought back flat and then slowly lifted to the vertical firing position while drifting back (called a modified D loop), or surprise surprise… a V loop can be formed by just changing the direction the rod is traveling in from going back, to going forward without a stop. (Technically the rod tip did stop for a nanosecond at the point of direction change)

Constant tension casters tend to think "line line line" as opposed to "rod rod rod". We direct the line to where we want it, we do not rely on timing as much. Traditional casting relies on good timing, lots of practice (preferably with a good coach) the right lines and rods, and as demonstrated by Speyghillie a terrific knowledge base of traditional casts that are a thing of beauty to watch. Constant tension and underhand casting may give some traditionalists a heart attack. Surprisingly though; we can not get away from the basic principles. There needs to be an anchor, the backloop needs to be 180 degrees from the target and the forward cast is done in a relatively straight line, and there must be a stop.

So "Constant Tension". is the correct term. Constant Movement is a misnomer.

Hi Scandi

Great description of constant tension casting, this was the stlye of casting used by Alexander Grant in the 1890's and you discribe it perfectly, i am trying to find time to write the Alexander Grant story, and hope to have time to do it this winter, a man 100 yrs ahead of his time.

He used drop down rings on his Vibration rods, so as to not loose any energy bewteen the rings and not loose constant tension.

On another note, I found an article on Underhand casting in one of my old book, describing Underhand casting style in the 1890's, and found a new twist on Speycasting, something really old but new to me.

Great work Scandi.

Gordon.

The style I like best for fishing is called Constant Tension casting. Not Constant Movement casting.

Great description of constant motion casting

Wait - constant motion, constant movement, or constant tension? I'm constantly moving to keep my rod in constant motion while casting in order to keep constant tension on the line. Now this whole thing has me tense. Fortunately the fish don't seem to care what we call it...

Hi Dan,

That is a perfect description of the Constant Tension principles that you have been teaching at your Spey Workshops.

Thanks for taking the time to post your insights. Looking forward to seeing both you and Gordon, in September.

Just a note. The Valsesiana rods from Northern Italy are portrayed in Roman freezes from around 470 AD. There were writings about this technique in about 700 AD. (Valsesiana rods or the Japanese equivalent Tenkara rods, are rods with no reels or guides. The line is simply attached to the tip. Todays Tenkara rods are also telescoping)

The description of how the rods are cast (even to this day) is constant tension casting. The line is always in motion and instruction was fairly close (I am told by the Italians) to the beloved Figure of 8 style.

What is old is new again.

I think when Ogar the cave man figured out that he could put a line and hook out further with a stick, he also figured out that it cast further if he kept the line moving.

Just think what Grant could have done with todays rods and lines. On the other hand... why would he bother; he did great with what he had.

I sometimes think we might have gone backwards.

Dan