Fly Fusion Forums

Suggestion For The Forums

The best idea I've heard so far is the permanent ban. The problem with banning has been that they always come back as someone else. Don't know that there is any way to stop that. IP addresses?

Oops

Sorry Rick. I disagree. My thoughts are if someone doesn't take the time to review their post for spelling errors, in the outside world this would possibly be viewed as someone who doesn't care if they are perceived as being uneducated.

This is just "my" opinion and I do not say this to "slag" anyone. In fact, I really enjoy reading everyones posts. Even though I am older and it takes more time to decipher some of the younger crowds shorthand/backward(?) language. LOL I have had emails sent to me by CEO's who don't bother to check their spelling and send bulk emails out to their employees. I find it hard to respect a CEO in their position who doesn't take the time to find the correct spelling to get their point across. When I was in Management and reviewing resumes, it took only two spelling errors before the paper went into the recycle bin. Some people don't care too much about it but, in my opinion, if you want to be viewed as a knowledgeable person and you have never met the person you are conversing with spelling correctly gives me the impression that they a well read and not just a grade school dropout and may actually know what they are talking about.

Boy, I had to look up a few words to insure I don't get raked over the coals for mis-spelling some words in this post and TRYING to at least appear educated. LOL

As I said though, just my "old school" opinion. Sorry for the hijack.

FHD

Right'on Mang!

P

Sorry Rick. I disagree. My thoughts are if someone doesn't take the time to review their post for spelling errors, in the outside world this would possibly be viewed as someone who doesn't care if they are perceived as being uneducated.

This is just "my" opinion and I do not say this to "slag" anyone. In fact, I really enjoy reading everyones posts. Even though I am older and it takes more time to decipher some of the younger crowds shorthand/backward(?) language. LOL I have had emails sent to me by CEO's who don't bother to check their spelling and send bulk emails out to their employees. I find it hard to respect a CEO in their position who doesn't take the time to find the correct spelling to get their point across. When I was in Management and reviewing resumes, it took only two spelling errors before the paper went into the recycle bin. Some people don't care too much about it but, in my opinion, if you want to be viewed as a knowledgeable person and you have never met the person you are conversing with spelling correctly gives me the impression that they a well read and not just a grade school dropout and may actually know what they are talking about.

Boy, I had to look up a few words to insure I don't get raked over the coals for mis-spelling some words in this post and TRYING to at least appear educated. LOL

As I said though, just my "old school" opinion. Sorry for the hijack.

FHD

No problem with the opinion FHD. And if you want to point out mistakes, that is perfectly fine. My point was that I don't think it should be done while involved in an argument/discussion with someone. Almost invariably, when it is done during an argument, it is being done to belittle the person-not to educate them. Also, we have a vast range of education/experience levels here. What I would expect from a CEO, or any professional correspondence for that matter, is certainly not the same I would expect from a frequenter of a fly fishing website.

All that said, looking forward to the temp cooling down, like say September? How is the knee holding up?

<start of hijack> Rick, having just returned from the homeland, I would think you would consider this weather "cool"!! LoL <end of hijack>

P

All that said, looking forward to the temp cooling down, like say September?

Ah! Well stated Rick and fair enough. September should be stellar at the"pond". Looking forward to taking you out again when things cool a bit and the "green" is gone. The knee is "fine" LOL. It's a long way from the heart! Nothing that a few days in a belly boat with a lunker or twenty on the line won't cure!

FHD

Just a quick idea... was on a forum that suspended people from posting for a month... maybe any idea. Three suspensions then block the IP.

First off, I like BBT's avatar ..sent him a PM about it...OK on to something far more serious..

..#1..under no reason or rhyme, will I put my real name into the Internet, site or forum..my privacy is MINE..unless I personally shake your hand and give you my name..as I did with 'Dutchie, Drew, and two good friends in Fish Tales', who are also on this forum..

..#2..I'm a VIP in one of the largest forums on the net, [with a membership exceeding over 1,000,000] and the staff of this forum gives out warnings ..3..then IP bans that "user name"....but hell ppl, it only takes a quick second or two to use a "proxy" IP, and change the user name, then away to the races one goes...

..#3..when I first got here and read a few threads, [by the way..Dutchie, told me about here..so u can blame him..lol.gif]..I thought and this is no..OEEID78gghLlG9GpYcZDCKOm0G8.gif, boy, the knowledge that is flying around here, Great!..I'll be able to pick up some great info..

..#4..I joined another site, that was more to my interest in a style of fishing I like...but..tbh..there was so much crap among members that I haven't been back for a while..I find the regular posters to be rather humorist, as well as informative..I've not read anything that gives me the impression that there are "Lugans" in this site...

..guess what I'm trying to tell all of you..PPL are just PPL, and when someone types a post, one can not hear, see the expression of the words on the face it comes from, therefore is it not safe to say....that everyone gets along?

..........................................................................Wolfie