Fly Fusion Forums

New Rod

darrinhurst

I currently have an 8'6" 5wt 4pc that I have been using primarily on the Bow that's great for dries and functional for nymphs, and a 7'6" 3wt 4pc for smaller streams. Love them both, but neither are really functional at tossing streamers. Too much of a "chuck and duck" for my liking. I also have a 9'0" 5wt 2pc that I could use, but I was thinking on getting a heavier weight rod. I've been looking at the idea of getting a 7wt as opposed to a 6wt just because the 6 is too close to the 5 I already have.

My only question is, why are there so few 7wt's available out there? I really haven't seen that many. Tons of 8wts out there to be had, but very few manufacturers seem to even make a 7wt.

Why is that?

I agree a 7 weight is great for streamers on the Bow. However a 8 wght is more versatile if you also want to to go after pike, stealhead etc. which is why I bought mine. If I would have to pick my overall favourite rod for the Bow it would be my 9' 6" VT2 Sage 6 wght.

Which rod brands are you looking at and what are the ones you currently own? Lots of 7wt rods out there. Otherwise you could always go up to an 8wt if the rods you prefer aren't made in a 7.

The rods I currently have are all TFO Signature Series One rods. I do like them, a lot. I did find a 7wt 9'0" in the Signature Series, but I have also been eyeballing the Grey's GRXi or the G Series in a 7/8 wt in a 9'6". Price seems right at $140 - $230, and I have heard good things about them. I've also looked online at the Orvis Clearwater II rod that's available in a 7wt, but haven't seen it locally. I was also considering maybe a Loop Multi as I have heard good things about them from several people on the board. It's going to come down to feel, then price. Livin on a budget! lol

I found that there can be allot of difference between a 5 and 6wt.Try some 6wt's before you buy.

I have a 9' 7 wt loaded with 444 clear int. line that you could borrow Darrin,would give you an idea anyway.

That would be sweet. Thanks Mike. When are we goin' on our next float?

The rods I currently have are all TFO Signature Series One rods. I do like them, a lot. I did find a 7wt 9'0" in the Signature Series, but I have also been eyeballing the Grey's GRXi or the G Series in a 7/8 wt in a 9'6". Price seems right at $140 - $230, and I have heard good things about them. I've also looked online at the Orvis Clearwater II rod that's available in a 7wt, but haven't seen it locally. I was also considering maybe a Loop Multi as I have heard good things about them from several people on the board. It's going to come down to feel, then price. Livin on a budget! lol

Definitely get out a cast the rods you're interested in. For what you're looking for, take a peak at the Amundson Wind Warrior, they make a couple 7 wts and 8 wts, in sizes from 8'6'' to 10'. Wholesale sports in Calgary carries the line. Price is around $250.

There's lots of good rods out there, you just have to find one with the action, cosmetics, and price you like.

Definitely get out a cast the rods you're interested in. For what you're looking for, take a peak at the Amundson Wind Warrior, they make a couple 7 wts and 8 wts, in sizes from 8'6'' to 10'. Wholesale sports in Calgary carries the line. Price is around $250.

There's lots of good rods out there, you just have to find one with the action, cosmetics, and price you like.

I actually did talk to Jack about the Wind Warrior. He told me that they don't currently come in a 7wt. That is something I was considering.

The Wind Warrior 7wts were not manufactured, basically because no retailer ever ordered any. I did a survey of retailers(not just Amundson dealers) in Western Canada and nobody wanted to stock 7wts as there was no customer demand for them. The WW 1007 prototype is a sweet stick, but is an unwanted child! :(

When I was pro-staffing for St. Croix, I acquired a 9'6" 7wt Avid for coho in the Bella Coola, guess what? Nobody stocked lines for the damn thing !! There it sits, in the corner, brand new, never had a line on it, forgotten.

j

Interesting. I wonder why people would buy 5s and 3s but not 7s. Do they just go from a 5 to an 8? I have a 9'6" 7wt that sees a lot of use for heavy nymph rigs on the Bow. Sorry for the brief hijack.

Sage also lists a 7wt Flight which might be in your price range, but I guess the question is if any shops carry them at this point.

a 7wt would be a good pick.. think the reason why u might be finding more 8wts is because there are alot of people who prefer and fish 6s adn even 4s then go with the 8 i like my 3 6 n 8 wts... but a 7 would do u just fine for what u are asking for! like others mentioned get out too a few shops and cast a bunch!

I know that Orivs does have that 7 wt Clearwater II, but when I checked Country Pleasures online shop, they only carry the 5 and the 6 wt. Not really sure why that would be.

I'm hoping to get something in the 9'6" range. Possibly 10'.

You should look at a Sage Fli. I think Fishtales has one.

I have a 7wt switch rod and overlined with 8wt. works really good on the bow. fished the same stretch 2 days ago with my 5wt and i could hit seams waay further out efficiently with the 7wt. but in close i still like the 5wt. I think i actually have the same 5wt as you, TFO signature 8'6" 4 piece with the wooden reel seat, beauty rod!! if you want to try out the 7wt switch send me a PM.

Hi FNG,

I have some Sharpe's of Aberdeen Gordon 2 fly rods sitting in my buddies house in BC, these rods where voted Trout rod of the year in the UK, :eek: and are stunning to cast i have them in 6 and 7wt and in 9ft, 9ft 6in and 10ft, all brand new.

If you want to try one, let me know and i will have one sent to you free of charge to try out for a week or two.

Thanks Gordon.

I know that Orivs does have that 7 wt Clearwater II, but when I checked Country Pleasures online shop, they only carry the 5 and the 6 wt. Not really sure why that would be.

I'm hoping to get something in the 9'6" range. Possibly 10'.

check out the loop adventure stick if you want something longer 9'6" and 10'ers.. i was going too mention it but i wasnt sure if u wanted a standard 9'r..... southbow prob has one in stock too cast too!

http://www.looptackle.se/website1/1.0.1.0/306/1/

Just another suggestion to look at. Snowbee has a couple rods in the 6/7 and 7/8 weight ratings, ranging in length from 9', 9'6' & 10'. Not sure which ones SouthBow has in stock, but may be worth a stop to check them out.

Colin

Not sure where you're getting that a 6 is too close to a 5 for streamers. If you want a little more fighting power, get the 6 weight in a saltwater format.

I still think the difference between a 5 and a 6 is much greater then most believe, and certainly greater then the difference between a 7 and an 8.

I'll certainly consider all my options. Weather it's a 6 or a 7, even an 8.

The only thing I do know is I would like it to be a bit longer, like 9'6" or 10'. I have a feeling that I'll like the 9'6" though, based on my preference to my 8'6" over my 9'0".

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'll certainly consider all my options. Weather it's a 6 or a 7, even an 8.

The only thing I do know is I would like it to be a bit longer, like 9'6" or 10'. I have a feeling that I'll like the 9'6" though, based on my preference to my 8'6" over my 9'0".

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I have a 10' 7 wt Scott that I love for Streamer, Bass and Steelhead fishing. Scott has a really good rod in 9'. 9' 6", and even 10' - their A3. Worth a look if you know of a local Scott dealer.

http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods2/a3

Ok, so here's a new question on this, and I know that it will come down to preference, but in my searching for a new 7wt, I have seen a number of the rods are classified as a 6/7 or a 7/8. So my question is this, what do you think would be better as a 7wt, the 6/7 or the 7/8?

My suspicions are the 6/7 as some of you like to over line your rods for a better feel, but I'd like to see what the consensus is.

Darrin

Guest Jeremie

I have a 6wt GLoomis GL3, and a 6wt stcroix legend elite. Both are beefy beefy rods and i believe the st croix goes for 430 and the GL3 goes for around 200. I use the GL3 for steelheading, pinks, and big bulls and sockeye. It casts fine if you use a 7wt line on it.

So pretty much what im saying is i like cake and GL3 FTW