Fly Fusion Forums

Frustrated.

Guest FoamStoner

Just another thing, i saw 1 person on my favourite river last year and we had fished it twice. This year we saw the 8 other people. So if you can give a good explanation on WHY other then the internet and people not being able to keep their mouths shut then i'd like to hear it.

I'm not saying your incorrect Jeremie, but statistically speaking your data set means absolutely squat. By comparing the number of fisherman on the B^&*$#@one river for two days, one year apart does not allow you to come to any meaningful conclusion. Do a day by day comparison for the months of July and August for the next 5 years and you may see a trend.

By the way, if I am correct in saying the B^&*$#@one river, I thought I'd let you know that I ran into at least 10 anglers there in 2007 on a nice hot August day. The tubers were out also by the campground. I still caught a dozen or so cutties in the first three pools within eyesight from the campground area.

I also fished the Crow for 10 days at the beginning of July this year. Fished some days upwards of 12 hours. From my ever deteriorating mind I recall running into 8 other fisherman. That's 8 other fisherman in 10 days. Not bad for a stream that has been blabed all over the internet.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People will protect waters when they feel that they are Their Own. A little bit of their own work in finding them will go a long way.

Harps..... you may want to re-read it again (even though you typed it)...... Not sure why this is even up for debate seems like your debating with yourself...

I'm not saying your incorrect Jeremie, but statistically speaking your data set means absolutely squat. By comparing the number of fisherman on the B^&*$#@one river for two days, one year apart does not allow you to come to any meaningful conclusion. Do a day by day comparison for the months of July and August for the next 5 years and you may see a trend.

By the way, if I am correct in saying the B^&*$#@one river, I thought I'd let you know that I ran into at least 10 anglers there in 2007 on a nice hot August day. The tubers were out also by the campground. I still caught a dozen or so cutties in the first three pools within eyesight from the campground area.

I also fished the Crow for 10 days at the beginning of July this year. Fished some days upwards of 12 hours. From my ever deteriorating mind I recall running into 8 other fisherman. That's 8 other fisherman in 10 days. Not bad for a stream that has been blabed all over the internet.

So you're saying the rivers aren't busier than they used to be?

C'mon......

And don't worry Jeremie, you are always going to have guys like Weedy1 and his buddies who are into river orgies.

Guest Jeremie

Thanks weedy.. now you are getting on my nerves.. i've been fishing that river for 4 years now. So yes i would have an idea of the statistics. If i saw 5 people on a stretch of river that takes 45 mins to hike into and last year and the year before AND the year before i've maybe seen 2. And Im not the only one complaining about this. Another lake in the cadomin area that we fished used to be deserted. And guess what? Now it isn't. I know im not the only one.

So you cant actually say that my statistics mean squat.

So you're saying the rivers aren't busier than they used to be?

C'mon......

No i'm saying statistically speaking the data set means absolutely squat. The popular rivers and streams are busier but in fact there are actually less licensed anglers in this province than there was 10 years ago. I guess that means the majority of licensed anglers are just fishing a lot more. :closedeyes:

The problem is the anglers are more concentrated on these internet “Hot Spots”. Most people I see are too lazy to walk past a point that would take them out of sight of the bridge or road access they arrived at the stream or river by. I don’t see them as a threat to where I can fish. We live in a lazy world where people want instant gratification and if they don’t get it they either become frustrated quickly or move on. That’s what I see on the streams and lakes nowadays, not the more dedicated type of fisherman of years ago.

SupremeLeader - Jeremie is correct in saying blabbing on the internet is a problem. (I also stated “I'm not saying your incorrect Jeremie” in my previous post but you obviously took only what you wanted from it.)

Guest Jeremie

No weedy, thats not what i took out of it, but you should've known that posting the close spelling of the river that i have fished consistently would tick me off.

No weedy, thats not what i took out of it, but you should've known that posting the close spelling of the river that i have fished consistently would tick me off.

That was directed at Supremeleader not you Jeremie. ;) (Try not to get frustrated either.)

Here's something to consider:

The number of licensed anglers in Alberta went from 331,152 in 1985 to 198,685 in 2005. At the same time the number of days fished per active angler went from 18 in 1985 to 14 in 2005.

Doing the math this means the number of days fished in 1985 was 5,960,736 compared to 2,781,590 or 46.6 % of that in 1985.

So with such a significant decline in the number of anglers and days fished how can the rivers be more busy?

Maybe someone could help me out.

Source http://www.abll.ca/charts/Fish/Angling_Effort

Just a thought. Could the increase in the number of anglers on the water this year have something to do with the thousands of people who have not been working in the oil patch. Drilling rig utilization is somewhere around 19% for the province and service rig utilization is around 35% i think. This is just the rig division. You have so many other positions in the patch that I know are slow also. I know guys that are working for us have not been working much and have instead actually been enjoying summer. Getting out camping with their families and yes, going fishing. Normally our guys stay busy and don't have time to get out and do anything. Just my two cents.

I don't fish there, so I could care less.

Enjoy the river orgy.

That's not an answer I would expect from the SupremeLeader.

You can do better than that.

By the way how's that power generation program of yours going? Have any of the centrifuges spun out of control lately?

Guest Jeremie

Im still frustrated over this though. I know its asking a little much but if everyone could just use more discretion when posting areas of where you are catching those 25+" plus fish or catching 20 cutties in the 20" range. Because even though you may want the glory, other people might still consider the stream home and posting the exact river, exact location is ruining the sport.

Guest Jeremie

I also know that not much is going change because of this thread but hopefully some of you will think twice before posting the name of the area.

Just a thought. Could the increase in the number of anglers on the water this year have something to do with the thousands of people who have not been working in the oil patch. Drilling rig utilization is somewhere around 19% for the province and service rig utilization is around 35% i think. This is just the rig division. You have so many other positions in the patch that I know are slow also. I know guys that are working for us have not been working much and have instead actually been enjoying summer. Getting out camping with their families and yes, going fishing. Normally our guys stay busy and don't have time to get out and do anything. Just my two cents.

Now lorney, dont start trying to bring any new possible cause to this discussion. It has been decided on this here intenets that the internets is the cause of overcrowding, not any silly economic reasons.

Seriously, Im sure there are multiuple causes. Another this year will certainly be people having less disposable income and vacationing closer to home.

Causality can be tough to pin

down. It is rarely A causes B, much more often A when combined with B in the presence of C contibutes to D. But its much more fun and entertaining to come up with one answer and blame all the ills on it. Particularly when blaming an online forum on the online forum.

Ive never fished the area I think you guys are speaking of (and in so doing bringing even more attention), but just how many times has it/them been discussed on here? Because once or twice wouldnt do it. It would have to be discussed often before it would have an appreciable impact (or at least I would think), assuming it was fairly well unknown before.

Anyway, sorry Birchy for being unable to resist taking my swings at the dead horse. I like the satisfying thump sound it makes.