Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing With Kid

have got my daughter (12 y/o) fly casting. she does pretty well in the dog park but on the weekend not so well on the bow (as she said too much to pay attention to including not falling in the river).

would appreciate any suggestions for places to take her where it is reasonably easy wading and a good chance to catch some fish....say cutties of any size on dry flies. preferably within a reasonable (1 hour or less) driving distance of calgary.

thanks.

james

James, why not try flat water first (lake community, stocked pond, etc.)? Or maybe a smaller stream (say the Jumping Pound)... As you know, the Bow is pretty much big water for most of us adults?!

Good luck, and let us know where you go and how she does...

Cheers,

P

have got my daughter (12 y/o) fly casting. she does pretty well in the dog park but on the weekend not so well on the bow (as she said too much to pay attention to including not falling in the river).

would appreciate any suggestions for places to take her where it is reasonably easy wading and a good chance to catch some fish....say cutties of any size on dry flies. preferably within a reasonable (1 hour or less) driving distance of calgary.

thanks.

james

I know this is about 2 hours away, but has all the rest of the qualities you want. Take her nymphing the crow. Let her use the water to load the cast, flip it up into the run, teach a simple mend / hookset, once the drift is over she can swing the flies (and get hits there too) and from that position flip up again into the run. Easy as pie, plus she'll catch fish too. I took my wife there and did this with her (she had never flyfished) and she got 4 and lost countless others. Good luck wherever you decide to go. A bit closer to home for you might be Cataract Creek, lots of willing small brook trout in there.

Lot's of great places to take a beginner angler within an hour of Calgary to toss a bushy dry to willing fish. Try anywhere on the Sheep, Elbow, Cataract, Waiparous, or any tributaries of the above with a humpy or stimmy. Have fun and enjoy watching her learn about small streams and small (not always) trout in a natural setting. Learning to nymph and throw streamers can come later. Of course, no offense Hawg. Yours is good advice also. I just know if I wanted to teach someone to flyfish I would do it in the most basic essence of the sport, especially if I am tying their knots!

Cheers. It's summer! Have fun!

Learning to nymph and throw streamers can come later. Of course, no offense Hawg. Yours is good advice also. I just know if I wanted to teach someone to flyfish I would do it in the most basic essence of the sport, especially if I am tying their knots!

Cheers. It's summer! Have fun!

hehe no offense taken I just know that the mentality of most kids is about 15 minutes and screw this if I dont catch a fish, and it's a lot easier to have success tossing a nymph without really casting per se, than it is to teach them how to cast a dry effectively enough to catch a few. I usually leave casting a dry for when there proficient enough with the "flip cast" for nymphs and also used to the rod and fighting fish. Different strokes for different folks tho :)

hehe no offense taken I just know that the mentality of most kids is about 15 minutes and screw this if I dont catch a fish, and it's a lot easier to have success tossing a nymph without really casting per se, than it is to teach them how to cast a dry effectively enough to catch a few. I usually leave casting a dry for when there proficient enough with the "flip cast" for nymphs and also used to the rod and fighting fish. Different strokes for different folks tho :)

Right. These are all good suggestions. I guess it all depends on the student/teacher and whether the fish are looking up. You'd probably nail 'em on the parts of the Sheep with a light nymph rig...as a last resort of course! Haha jk