Fly Fusion Forums

Double Dry

Gil

Aside from a hopper dropper config. which I fish regularly, my dry fishing has always been single fly. Just wondering if anyone has advice on fishing two small dries. Is it worth the hasse?l How much tippet do you run between your flies. Larger fly on top?

I've used two dries before, but not often. I find that a larger dry first, like a yellow humpy (my favourite and then with foam) followed by a smaller one, on lighter tippet about 18'' behind. I usually go for an ant, beetle or emerger pattern.

Not a pro, but I've had success on the bow with a big dry (stimmie) with a sparkling caddis pupa trailed bout a foot or less. I put lots of gink on the caddis and the tippet, to make it float. The stimmie acts as an eddible indicator. I've had lots of hook ups on both flies. You should try it!

I do it but more with flies in the film (emerging caddis, midge emergers, cripples of all kinds, etc) and I usually tag those behind a regular #18 or 20 fly I am using to match the hatch. I dont do it much with bigger flies as I find I tangle a LOT with 2 dries unless I put the smaller one on first. If I put small one on second (trailing a larger fly) I am always tangled.