Fly Fusion Forums

Banff National Park Fishing

Alright gang, need some help here. I've Been to Banff many times, but never fished within the park. Next month I have a friend coming from Germany for some sort of Medical convention, he will be staying in the town of Banff between the 15th and the 20th of September. He has asked me to give him some insight as to where he can try some stream fishing in the evenings, within walking distance if possible as transportation and lack of time to travel could be and issue. Any suggestions?. I will try to meet up with him for an evening (work permitting), if so, I will have my wheels available, nevertheless I want to have some sort of idea of where to take him/advise him to try his luck. BTW, he is aware of the special license required to fish National Parks. Lakes are pretty much out of the question as the equiment he will be bringing will be limited.

Thanks for any assistance,

Saltamontes

Hey bud,

The cascade ponds are full of little brookies. The only time I've caught them was in the evening after 9:00 PM, and all came on small dries. The creek that empties into the ponds is also full of brookies, some of them respectable in size. The river, below bow falls has a few nice fish, I've only tagged smaller fish there though. If your buddy is coming all the way from Germany, I recommend you do a drift on the upper bow with a guide.

yeah a drift would be the sweetest but it would likely have to be outside the park so that would mean another license as I don't know if any guides float in the park. feel free to send me a pm around the time and I might be able to send you in the right direction for walk and wading spots. Nonetheless the bow below the falls offer some good but somewhat difficult fishing. I hear some people fish above the falls but the people around has always kinda discouraged me from doing it myself. None the less I have heard of lots of fish being caught right under the bridge in banff........

Hey LF - did you hear about those idiots in a canoe two weeks ago, rode over Bow falls and by the grace of god, actually walked away uninjured, must of been a hell of a ride LOL - I would have bought tickets to see that one !!!!

One of the Canmore guides asked me what I thought about drifting the bow through Redstreak - I had to laugh, a good way to turn your clack-a-craft into a million tooth-picks - anyway a number of guides do guided walk and wades within the Park.

There is a small rainbow creek off of Johnson Lk which is within walking distance but I'm not sure if it will still be open in Sept or not, also ,.. supposededly hiking to the river at the canal outlet (below the power station on the TCH east of Banff) is a pretty nice section of river and it gets considerably less pressure than anywhere right in town. May be a bit to far to walk but the spot is close enough that a cab wouldn't be all that expensive. As LF says post again closer as I plan to hit this spot when the clarity improves and could give you an acurate report closer to his trip date.

All that said I would suggest your bud would be getting the best possible experience if he saved up a few extra hundred bucks for a float on the bow outside the Park, most guides would be more than willing to pick up, and drop off your friend in Banff at no charge.

Pipestone

Nope I didn't hear about that but they are most likely alive because the water is so high I would have paid to see that as well....... lucky bastards though big time.

Unfortunately Redstreak is not a name that means anything immediately to me I know the river pretty well from cochrane up to lake louise...... sorry if you care to explain where it is then maybe I can comment but there are only a couple of places that spring to mind that you could be talking about......

I also am one my 3rd double so maybe my brain is not firing on all cylinders

• 2 weeks later...
Alright gang, need some help here. I've Been to Banff many times, but never fished within the park. Next month I have a friend coming from Germany for some sort of Medical convention, he will be staying in the town of Banff between the 15th and the 20th of September. He has asked me to give him some insight as to where he can try some stream fishing in the evenings, within walking distance if possible as transportation and lack of time to travel could be and issue. Any suggestions?. I will try to meet up with him for an evening (work permitting), if so, I will have my wheels available, nevertheless I want to have some sort of idea of where to take him/advise him to try his luck. BTW, he is aware of the special license required to fish National Parks. Lakes are pretty much out of the question as the equiment he will be bringing will be limited.

Thanks for any assistance,

Saltamontes

Around that time of year the Rockies stack up below Bow Falls........If he has waders he can wade out a bit, cast to the seam and with a GRHE or anything similar under an indicator, he can have a hoot............Also lot's of bullies lurk around there and in the big pool down at the confluence of the little feeder creek below the falls............