Fly Fusion Forums

Sage Launch 4wt

Hey guys and girls,

I am looking at a new rod/reel and have been thinking about the Sage rods for awhile. The stuff I use now is from redington and is ok but on the cheaper end. I am looking for a rod used mostly for dryfly on smaller creeks. I have used my friends 4wt Launch and it felt pretty good but was wondering what you guys thought? My redington is a 5 wt and almost feels kinda heavy for what I do.

I am also looking at the amundson TXS reel for the above rod. I have no experience with these reels, so any advice would be great.

I can't say much for the rod, but I can tell you that the reel is nothing short of AMAZING! I picked it up last year to replace my TFO Mayfly cartridge reel and have been loving it ever since. It has a smooth and silent retrieve and a nice strong disc drag. Light, and solid. You won't be disappointed with your purchase.

I am looking for a rod used mostly for dryfly on smaller creeks.

What do you consider a smaller creek? And what other use would it see? Yesterday I used an 8'2" 2wt on the Liv and Oldman headwaters and it was perfect for those little cutties. I use a 4wt for dries on the Bow.

Personally I use a 3wt 9 foot Loop Multi on the Bow for dries and on the small streams.

The rod is a mid flex rod and is a bit forgivening, I also like it cause with the big brutes on the bow the flex in the rod is just absoultly amazing and can pretty much handle most fish on the bow also if your a experince fisher, but time and practice will bring you up to par.

If you are looking for a faster action rod I suggest the Loop Opti Creek or the Loop Opti Stream, both are amazing rods.

I personally love my 5wy Launch, But for a small creek rod, I would say the Launch 4 wt is a bit to stiff, IMHO.

The Launch is being replaced very soon with the Flight, which is a slightly more limber rod and would be better suited for smaller streams and rivers.

Rick

Hey guys and girls,

I am looking at a new rod/reel and have been thinking about the Sage rods for awhile. The stuff I use now is from redington and is ok but on the cheaper end. I am looking for a rod used mostly for dryfly on smaller creeks. I have used my friends 4wt Launch and it felt pretty good but was wondering what you guys thought? My redington is a 5 wt and almost feels kinda heavy for what I do.

I am also looking at the amundson TXS reel for the above rod. I have no experience with these reels, so any advice would be great.

I just picked up an amundson TXS reel for my 5/6 Redington and I absolutely love this reel. Nice drag, large arbor for fast line pick up, all sealed inside, holds up well in the Highwood and the bow, and it looks good too. There are better rods out there for the price of a sage too. The previous posts talk about Loop which is a decent rod but I still like my old redington.