Fly Fusion Forums

Maligne Candy

SNAPFisher

Spent a decent amount of quality time at Maligne Lake in Jasper in June and just the past long weekend. It can be a pretty magical place to take it all in...oh and the fishing was excellent.

MaligneLake0609002.jpg

MaligneLake0609019.jpg

MaligneLake0609020.jpg

MaligneLake0609040.jpg

MaligneLake0609047.jpg

th_MaligneLake0709015.jpg

Wildlife viewing is always awesome. In June we saw mountain goats, sheep, elk, deer, black bear, moose and all sorts of bird life.

MaligneLake0709002.jpg

A less than timid squirrel

MaligneLake0709029.jpg

Great fish viewing opportunities as well.

Bows attempting to spawn

MaligneLake0709022.jpg

The kind of fish watching I could do for hours....and did

th_MaligneLake0709025.jpg

More to follow...

That's a great video! I could watch that for hours myself.

Were they spawning or just in a feeding lane?

Both. They were actually spawning. I had never seen it in "action" before. The male was vibrating next to the female and then the female would turn sidways, beat the gravel and release. We missed timing on those pics, didn't have the camera. Other than a few of them the rest were there to feed. They were rising regularly for bugs which was also great to see with that vantage point.

Northfork, hot flies were a black and brown maribou leech, double shrimp and cronimids.

Yeah, they call me "smiley" sometimes. Can't wipe the permanent grin I have :caffeetime:

I love that lake -- great fishing and the most spectacular scenary one can imagine. Thanks for posting the pics. They bring back lots of memories -- used to fish that lake a lot. Terry

Awesome pics, SNAPfisher. I was around last winter and the scenery looked a bit different. :)

That video is great! I watched trout (and grayling) behavior for a week :D and could not get enough of it. (We have brown water here in south Finland, so one need to travel a bit to fish clear water.) They were more territorial than I thought so.

Those wildlife photos are great! (Love the close-up on the squirrel.) What camera do you shoot with?

Those wildlife photos are great! (Love the close-up on the squirrel.) What camera do you shoot with?

Thanks!

It is a mix in there but all the wildfife are a Konica Minolta...I think a Z2 ...something like that. It is ancient by todays standards, 4 megapixels. It does do a nice job though of close ups. I think the latest one if a Z7 or 8. They are mid-cost cameras.