Fly Fusion Forums

Do You Accept 'center Pinning' As A Fly Fishing Cousin?

Kind of depends on what is on the end of the line, doesn't it? Technically, flyfishing is not only using a fly, but using a line that "carries" the fly out on a cast. The use of such "flies" as wooly buggers and other streamers(which are properly called "lures") is not really "flyfishing", in the purist and purest sense of the term.

Like that tenkara method, Terry. My late father-in-law(Nisei) had one(12' 3pc noodle bamboo) that he acquired as a young man. I didn't have much interest in it when he first showed it to me (when my wife and I were first married, 34 years ago) but now that I'm old and curious about "kewl/old stuff", I must try and find out what ever happened to it.

Thanks for the reminder, it might just make a "next winter" project.

j

I guess the negative feelings arrise mainly due to the fact that pinning is historically a bait fishing method.

my understanding is also that due to the low drag associated with pinning you don't always feel the hook up as quickly as with other fishing techniques, which in turn allows the fish to take the "fly" deeply before you set the hook, which in turn leads to an drastic increase in hooking mortality. We can still release these fish, but thier chances of survival dramatically decrease.

I used to use a centre pin drift fishing on bc's coastal rivers. I have no problem with it. I still fish other methods other then fly fishing when need be.

Totally agree with you Jayhad, I've never had the opportunity to centre pin before but if the intention is a freezer full of salmon in as little time as possible for those living on the West coast then so be it. I'm sure if you ask those applying this method if they've had fun in the process they'd agree.

I guess the negative feelings arise mainly due to the fact that pinning is historically a bait fishing method.

I'm not sure why bait fishing should have any negative connotations if it's a legal, effective, and an enjoyable method for those who did it. I don't see any more skill by those with an over sized Spey or single hand fly rod who apply the 3 nymph heavy rig wintering hole flossing method on the Bow river then those who enjoy the centre pin salmon migration. To me it's all about the fun that ensues once the fish is hooked.

While we're at it, how about tenkara?

http://www.tenkarausa.com/about.php

Terry

Terry..I know all about this type as well, my next door neighbor comes from China and he also uses this method, and has several rods that are telescopic, up to 15 meters=45'..now that is long in any man's language [or Ladies]..he was telling me his heaviest fish weighed was over 35 kilos, just X2 on that=75lbs. I saw the video on this as well, I am waiting for one as I write this, however it will be a 'Chinese' rod that i'll be getting.

Jayhad..I'm from the Island m8, and when i started to fish there , i got 'stoned' cause no one even saw this method before, but the main reason I got stoned was the fact that i was out fishing the locals 5 - 1..salmon or steelies. If there is a response to CP in this forum...why isn't there a notable sticky for it as there is for 'Spey fishing'..?

Tex has got it, it's all about the strike, I just prefer it do it with hair and feathers, beyond that I could care less how you fish.

I'm going fissin' now.....

no! its in the fishing fam but its not fly casting

What?? you must be joking right? If I use as my bait a fly, is that not casting a fly to catch fish with? It is the same if I was to use this method, is this not Fly Fishing as well?

Tenkara is the traditional Japanese method of fly-fishing, which uses only a rod, line and fly, now tell me this isn't fly fishing.

What?? you must be joking right? If I use as my bait a fly, is that not casting a fly to catch fish with? It is the same if I was to use this method, is this not Fly Fishing as well?

Tenkara is the traditional Japanese method of fly-fishing, which uses only a rod, line and fly, now tell me this isn't fly fishing.

Using a fly to fish is different than fly casting... There is no "fly casting" in pinning.

I have seen guys drag a fly behind a boat troller with spin tackle and wouldn't call it fly fishing just because they used a fly...

I have no problem with other types of fishing as I said previously, but fly fishing is the generally accepted as the use of fly rod, fly line and then fly. Most styles of fishing use the lure to provide mass to create the enegery to cast, fly fishing uses a marriage between the line and rod.

Pretty much if you reel is lined with mono, I don't accept it as fly fishing, but really who cares are you out there to catch fish and have a good time or start interweb arguements?

Who cares? Center pinning is as much a "cousin" to fly fishing as spin fishing is since in each case you're using a rod and line to deliver some sort of lure to a fish. Fish how you want and as long as it's legal, screw what anyone else thinks.