Fly Fusion Forums

Scotch

It's actually pretty good stuff. The single malt is a lowland and I'm betting Glenkinchie. A couple of us polished off a bottle after a Golden Trout hike last year...for some reason we weren't up at 5 am for the next hike.

Here's another you fine gents might like to get your hands on. It can't be had YET in Alberta, but I've had a taste of it and it's absolutely stellar. They do gin as well. I'll put it this way though - I've never been able to drink vodka straight without the burn and choke and this stuff was like sweet water - much too good to put in a martini shaker even. Guy who sponsors my wine group is an importer and this is one that he's bringing into Alberta in the coming months. It's worth getting both the bottle and contents. If anyone is interested, I can find out which stores in particular he's shipping to. Retails for about $42 a bottle as I recall.

http://www.dryflydistilling.com/about.html

Are you sure it's not available? I saw that near my place as well, or at least something that looked like that. I have a bad memory but I do remember something with that kind of label. Not a vodka fan but perhaps I'll give it a go from your description.

Here's another you fine gents might like to get your hands on. It can't be had YET in Alberta, but I've had a taste of it and it's absolutely stellar. They do gin as well. I'll put it this way though - I've never been able to drink vodka straight without the burn and choke and this stuff was like sweet water - much too good to put in a martini shaker even. Guy who sponsors my wine group is an importer and this is one that he's bringing into Alberta in the coming months. It's worth getting both the bottle and contents. If anyone is interested, I can find out which stores in particular he's shipping to. Retails for about $42 a bottle as I recall.

http://www.dryflydistilling.com/about.html

Kensington Wine Market $53.99.

Kensington Wine Market $53.99.

Keerist that's expensive. No wonder I don't shop there. Guess he must have imported sooner than he said. It's good stuff though if you're a Vodka lover. But I wouldn't pay that.

What is everyones favorite scotches? I have two categories for scotches-fishing scotch (cheaper but good, sits nice in my vest flask) and an evening scotch(which tends to break my bank occasionally) to sip at home in front of the fireplace.

Fishin scotch- McClellands Islay, Laphroaig Quater Cask

Evening scotch- Lagavulin 16 year, Laphroaig 1988 old malt cask.

There are many great scotches out there, what do you drink?

I'm a fan of the multicask finishes; Auchentoshan 3 wood is outstanding as is the 15 if you're into a more classic whiskey. I also love the Glenmorangie port finish. I would also second the Laphroaig quarter cask. There really are too many to pick from, it would be sad to be a bourbon drinker.

I try to avoid buying the cheap stuff and make a point of enjoying every swill no matter if it comes from my glass or a flask. May have to have a pull right now.

I'm a fan of the multicask finishes; Auchentoshan 3 wood is outstanding as is the 15 if you're into a more classic whiskey. I also love the Glenmorangie port finish. I would also second the Laphroaig quarter cask. There really are too many to pick from, it would be sad to be a bourbon drinker.

I try to avoid buying the cheap stuff and make a point of enjoying every swill no matter if it comes from my glass or a flask. May have to have a pull right now.

I love Glenmorangie...probably the best bang for the buck as quality scotch goes. I've never taken to anything BUT their original though. Heard some good things about the 3 wood, will have to try a bottle.

...and as the cheap stuff goes, I actually like Glenfiddich. The original is good, but the Solera Risierva (sp?) was great. Glenlivet isn't really worth my time though.

for everyday scotch Abeelour - least expensive single malt in the stores i go to (less than both the glens - livet and fiddich).

for good stuff - Oban, Balvenie Double Wood and Longmorn.

aaahh for the good old days when Oban was $39.99 at the sunnyside liquor store less a 5% CJSW Friends Discount for a $37.99 everyday drinking scotch. Now Oban is $85 to $100.

i think the question is not which scotch but where can you buy the cheapest single malts in town? i mostly go to the Midtown Coop Liquor store but it's not the cheapest - just best selection that is closest to me.

any other stores out there you'd recommend (esp inner city stores)?

What is everyones favorite scotches? I have two categories for scotches-fishing scotch (cheaper but good, sits nice in my vest flask) and an evening scotch(which tends to break my bank occasionally) to sip at home in front of the fireplace.

Fishin scotch- McClellands Islay, Laphroaig Quater Cask

Evening scotch- Lagavulin 16 year, Laphroaig 1988 old malt cask.

There are many great scotches out there, what do you drink?

Good choices!

Has anyone on here tried Macallan 10 year single malt? It is one of the best all around scotches for my taste buds. It is mid-range at about $50-60. I found it for $45 recently. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Macallan Single Malt

I'm thinking of it now.......

Has anyone on here tried Macallan 10 year single malt? It is one of the best all around scotches for my taste buds. It is mid-range at about $50-60. I found it for $45 recently. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Second time I've heard that this week, looks like I might have a winner for a trip next week.