Fly Fusion Forums

Best Bow River San Juan Worm Recipe

onthefly7

What San Juan Worm recipe have you guys had the most luck with on the bow specifically? Brass Beads? Wire?

post your most successful san juan worm pattern and maybe give a video or instructions if you have it

Thanks! Andy

Silverdoctor, if you have seen that they catch more fish, i will tie those as well. Do you have a recipe or video you could share so I know what materials to buy?

Don't have a vid camera, that's all I need I'd be posting vids all the time. Pretty simple tie really Long shank nymph hook #8 or # 10 or what you feel comfortable with. I use red thread to lay a base then lash the Micro Chenille down front and back I usually make a bit of a hump of it on the shank and that's it. Wire worms sink faster but the fish seem to hold these longer.

I like chinelle on a scud hook #14 and 12. Burgendy is my favorite but a tan brown is effective as well. Be sure to flame the ends. I find this works well year round. The larger heavier SJW's work fine in the warmer weather, when the fish are more active, however I don't have much luck with these in the colder weather. Note: for the #8, #10 SJW I just wrap a mustad SJW hook with red heavy gauge Cajun line.

post-1741-1245796991.jpg

While the red chenille and wire worms caught fish I wasnt convinced they were the best worm pattern. I tried a lot of prototype worms this past fall and spring on the Bow. I'd fish a triple worm rig to test all of them out against each other. I found a couple of interesting things after about 100 fish landed.

Fish preferred the more natural colors rather than red. Fish preferred worms with a "hot spot" on them. Fish preferred worms that were NOT weighted really heavily. When given the choice fish preferred worms about 1.5" long. With these findings Ive been able to come up with a pattern that works killer for me.

Keep in mind this pattern was meant to imitate natural aquatic worms, not earthworms or bloodworms.

Experimentation and creating new patterns is one of the joys of fly fishing for me. Happy fly tying.

While the red chenille and wire worms caught fish I wasnt convinced they were the best worm pattern. I tried a lot of prototype worms this past fall and spring on the Bow. I'd fish a triple worm rig to test all of them out against each other. I found a couple of interesting things after about 100 fish landed.

Fish preferred the more natural colors rather than red. Fish preferred worms with a "hot spot" on them. Fish preferred worms that were NOT weighted really heavily. When given the choice fish preferred worms about 1.5" long. With these findings Ive been able to come up with a pattern that works killer for me.

Keep in mind this pattern was meant to imitate natural aquatic worms, not earthworms or bloodworms.

Experimentation and creating new patterns is one of the joys of fly fishing for me. Happy fly tying.

Correct me if I am wrong but is a blood worm not a auquadic worm? I goodled it and it states that it is.

Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycera_(genus)

Bloodworms are poor swimmers but good burrowers, living on the sandy or silty bottoms of the intertidal or subtidal regions. Though usually marine, they can tolerate low salt levels in the water, and also poor oxygen levels. Bloodworms and all water worms have adapted to life in the sand and silt for the protection it offers.

red wire on a hook size 6or 8 will slay em.. ive tied em with a few dozen different materials and they all work teh same... might aswell have the weight with some large red wire.. if you want to actually tie somethign tho floss, vinyl rib, dubbing, marabou, chenille, crystal flash, flashabou, larvae lace, vinyl sheet or anything else u can find in red will do too!

I actually consider a bloodworm to be a midge larva...and they are in fact red or orange and rarely larger than size 14. Maybe there are actual worms called blood worms but I was referring to midge larva...sorry

bloodworms "midge larvae" are awsome! and mini sanjuan worms work great for that but we do have tubliflex worm wich are aquatic worms jsut like a earthworm they have gills behind there spiracles too breath underwater and do what earthworms do just sub surface!

• 1 month later...

highlighting ur post, to draw ur attention to just that part...I take it that you were 'leading' for a 'request' from someone...OK..how about sharing that "fine" with us, picture included also.................Thanks........Wolfie