Fly Fusion Forums

Elbow River 6/22

snakeman

I flew in from London yesterday and couldn't think of a better way to work off the jet-lag than to spend some time on my favourite stream. She's high and muddy but with a little leg work there are fishable spots to be found. It was a nice walk to the river, with wildflowers in abundance

62209009.jpg

62209018.jpg

I came across this adult wood frog in the woods. It's always a pleasure to find these guys, I don't see them often enough here.

62209025.jpg

Covering water with a black bugger, I stung a nice brown in a side channel but missed the hookset as I was distracted by a pair of hawks circling above me. Moving on to another channel I got a chase from something big on a slow strip. A couple casts later I hooked up, and after 2 minutes of headshakes and tail-walking (a habit of most of the bigger browns on this river), I had my first Elbow trout of 09

62209015.jpg

62209017.jpg

With that I was satisfied and called it a day. Certainly not a bad way to start the year!

Looks like you had a good day, Snake.

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who takes the time to stop & smell the flowers.

Took this pic on Saturday...

p6200315.jpg

These are from last month...

p4170006b.jpg

p4170008.jpg

I like this one...

p8040003.jpg

Good-looking brown, BTW!

Later,

Steve

A bit of a highjack...

Has anyone here tried to correlate certain flowers blooming with certain insect hatches starting? There is a term for this that I can't remember. Just wondering if anyone has any local knowledge of such.

Yup, someone already has. The book is called 'The Phenological Fly' by Bob Scammel. It has been one of my favorites for many years, and the only thing I would change about it - is to include other species other than the Super Hatches. Of course had that been done, the darn thing would've ended up as big as Rob and Macolm's book 'Mayflies'.

Did you catch that Bob? ;)

Regards,

Frank.

A bit of a highjack...

Has anyone here tried to correlate certain flowers blooming with certain insect hatches starting? There is a term for this that I can't remember. Just wondering if anyone has any local knowledge of such.

you can also tell that caddis are about to start for the first time of the year when you smell that "sweet" river smell when you are near it. The first time I smell that I know caddis are less than a week away, and it never fails me. :)

Thanks for the nice pics, and report. Be careful though you might be giving away someones "secret spot". <--poke--<

Damn you're right, that mud is a dead giveaway :P

Have you made it out to the Elbow yet?

Very cool pics Bob, do you happen to know what kinds of flowers these are? Here's another pretty one I found, no clue what it's called

62209027.jpg

Damn you're right, that mud is a dead giveaway :P

Have you made it out to the Elbow yet?

Very cool pics Bob, do you happen to know what kinds of flowers these are? Here's another pretty one I found, no clue what it's called

62209027.jpg

Sorry, no clue...

I'm no botanist; I'm just (according to Rickr & Troutlover) extremely gay! :angel:smail:

Nice pic, Snake...

Later,

Steve

Hey Snake, no haven't had the opportunity yet. Need a cool drizzly day to keep the raft hatch down and the real hatch up.

I actually haven't seen any out here west of the city yet, but I don't bother hitting the water on weekends. Speaking of hatches, lots of golden stones, lime sallys, PMD's and caddis around - should be another good year for dry fly action. Thanks for the comments guys. time to go fishing... :laxfisher:

Yup, someone already has. The book is called 'The Phenological Fly' by Bob Scammel. It has been one of my favorites for many years, and the only thing I would change about it - is to include other species other than the Super Hatches. Of course had that been done, the darn thing would've ended up as big as Rob and Macolm's book 'Mayflies'.

Did you catch that Bob? ;)

Regards,

Frank.

Oh, man. $100 used and $250 new. Looks like they need to send that one back to the printers.