Fly Fusion Forums

Leader To Flyline Connection

Busey

Just wondering what type of connection you guys use? Nail knot, loop-to-loop connection? Pros and cons? I've always gone with a nail knot connection even with looped flyline and might try a loop-to-loop connection with my new line. Thanks in advance.

Busey

i like running some 40 or 50 lb nail knotted off of my flyline for nymphs and dries. i find is you seal it with zap a gap of knot sence it wont get water seapage versus welded loops can get cracked and start too soak up water.. when i fish sinktips i use welded loops all the way tho!

i like running some 40 or 50 lb nail knotted off of my flyline for nymphs and dries. i find is you seal it with zap a gap of knot sence it wont get water seapage versus welded loops can get cracked and start too soak up water.. when i fish sinktips i use welded loops all the way tho!

You are wise beyond your years, Grasshopper... :ph34r:

Give me my tie-fast tool and a nail knot anyday for dry fly fishing. turns over the leader better and more accurately in MY opinion (at least with my cast) which is very important to me when stalking bow r. fish. Now for nymphing and streamer becuase it's so easy to use nail knots I use 'em... but I wouldn't see a prob w/ a loop to loop there. Whatever floats your boat. There's pros and cons to each way.

I'm not proud of it, but I'm still in the 'Leader Link' phase (for many years now). Easy to use, and never had one break. Changing the leader takes seconds.

I recommend them for beginners, and simple folks like me who just don't learn knots well.....