Fly Fusion Forums

Liquidlace Body Material.

nebc

Deadly stuff! starting using it after the show this year. Fill it with baby oil with the use of a syringe for an awsome look. For those who are interested check out the new fly fusion. You can also use markers to change the colour, great product for Chronomids. Blood worms all winter on the Bow! One note you need to use water based cement.

I must also say the gent who owns the company was great guy, took the time to show me and a buddy what it was all about.

Where abouts do you guys find the syringes to fill the lace? I cant get any syringes from any pharmacies since Im not a diabetic and all of the diabetics I know use single use syringes which are unusable after the first plunge so I cant get a clean one from them either. Any idea where to find a reusable syringe?

Where abouts do you guys find the syringes to fill the lace? I cant get any syringes from any pharmacies since Im not a diabetic and all of the diabetics I know use single use syringes which are unusable after the first plunge so I cant get a clean one from them either. Any idea where to find a reusable syringe?

Instead of a syringe what about one of those little squeezy bottles for head cement that have the long thin metal tube? I know what you mean about finding syringes, I used them sans needle to measure expoxy for rod building and I finally had to source out a replacement after every pharmacy I went to refused to sell them to me.

Where abouts do you guys find the syringes to fill the lace?

I brought my liquid lace into the pharmacy and showed it to them to explain why I was asking for one. I got a strange look and they said "We only have one left".

Keep your sleeves rolled up.

I brought my liquid lace into the pharmacy and showed it to them to explain why I was asking for one. I got a strange look and they said "We only have one left".

Keep your sleeves rolled up.

I just explained what I was using it for and that I only needed one. I am a grub sometimes but did not look like a junky on that day. Not sure why they would not sell them...I thought that the use of clean needles was promoted rather then the use of dirty ones.

If one place says no just try another, again once you have one you are set.

Also note, I tie knots in the lace or pinch hermostats after you fill to stop dripping.

I just explained what I was using it for and that I only needed one. I am a grub sometimes but did not look like a junky on that day. Not sure why they would not sell them...I thought that the use of clean needles was promoted rather then the use of dirty ones.

If one place says no just try another, again once you have one you are set.

Also note, I tie knots in the lace or pinch hermostats after you fill to stop dripping.

This may help - from the order form at www.liquidlace.com

Needle Sizes required for "Micro" is 29G and for the balance of liquid lace 27G

I do not see why one could not adapt a squeeze bottle with some thought and luck, but as others have noted it should not be too hard to obtain a plain old syringe either.

This may help - from the order form at www.liquidlace.com

Needle Sizes required for "Micro" is 29G and for the balance of liquid lace 27G

I do not see why one could not adapt a squeeze bottle with some thought and luck, but as others have noted it should not be too hard to obtain a plain old syringe either.

After speaking to Ed Smith of liquidlace.com at Sheridan Lake a few weeks ago, and reading your positve responses here, I decided it is worth the cost. I bought a supply today and also went for a new Nor-Vise with all the bells and whistles.

Ed was very helpful and showed me how he tied many of the patterns he used there using his Nor-vise.

He also caught some very nice rainbows there!

After speaking to Ed Smith of liquidlace.com at Sheridan Lake a few weeks ago, and reading your positve responses here, I decided it is worth the cost. I bought a supply today and also went for a new Nor-Vise with all the bells and whistles.

Ed was very helpful and showed me how he tied many of the patterns he used there using his Nor-vise.

He also caught some very nice rainbows there!

You'll love the Nore Vice. It's the best. There is a real difference in filling the lace with oil Makes it really translucent. Ed's a great guy, had fun tying iwht him.

Ed is a great guy, so is Randy (Another advocate of Liquid Lace) I make a point of watching them tie up flies at the Calgary show every year. Randy does some incredible golden stones with the product. I use a 29 gauge needle for all my Liquid lace, and don't find it too messy. You do really need to fill them to get the best effect. Using tinsel and some markers, you can create some killer flies. A few years ago, we even did some experimenting with glow in the dark materials being injected into the lace. Lots of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I just restocked my bench with all the colors this week. I use a 28 gauge needle to fill the lace for both sizes. I got a whole box full from a paramedic who knows I'm not a drug user. I really doubt you could fill it with a head cement squeeze bottle as the lace is too small to fit over it. The thing I really enjoy about liquid lace is by using different base colors of thread and/or dubbing you can tie the same fly in limitless variations of finished color and then .... get the pens out and the sky is the limit. Most important though is, fish like it too. Rick.

• 1 month later...
I just restocked my bench with all the colors this week. I use a 28 gauge needle to fill the lace for both sizes. I got a whole box full from a paramedic who knows I'm not a drug user. I really doubt you could fill it with a head cement squeeze bottle as the lace is too small to fit over it. The thing I really enjoy about liquid lace is by using different base colors of thread and/or dubbing you can tie the same fly in limitless variations of finished color and then .... get the pens out and the sky is the limit. Most important though is, fish like it too. Rick.

After talking to Ed at Sheridan this spring, I tied up several chironomids on Tiemco 2457 size 14 hooks, filled the liquid lace green color with mineral oil, used a tiny bit of peacock herl and blackened grouse feathers for head/leg area with white antron behind the eye. Darkened the area from the eye back 1/4 inch or so with a Sharpie marker and set out for a lake with good rainbows waiting.

Was surprised at the results: one 7, one 12.5 pound fish netted that morning. Now just have to find time to get back there...often

Spoke with a few of the locals but not many are really into tying their own flies and when I showed them the tiny flies and what they caught, several are saying they will give it a shot this winter.

Great material, and a good article in Fly Fishing and Tying journal (just hit the stands)about liquid lace for anyone who missed Ed at the show. Or like me doesn't have a good enough memory to remember some of the details.