Fly Fusion Forums

Quality Lakes Proposed

Fellas,

we really do not appreciate all of the work that Don in particular has done for Alberta's quality fisheries. He has been the driving force on Ironside and Fiesta. I've fished both a ton, and appreciate all the hard work that went into setting it up, and all the work they do to maintain it.

Obviously due to the lack of funding there is not as much research and field work being done that would potentially lead to more wuality fisheries. In spite of this, you guys need to listen to Missinthebow as well. Way too many guys say they are on board with promoting and developing more quality fisheries and don't do their part. Coming on here and saying you'd be in for stuff like this just doesn't cut it. Email, call, or write a letter to your local SRD fisheries guys. Even knowing the right people can get you places. I had an inquiry for a particular issue on Prairie Creek and Don Andersen gave me his insight and also some people to contact regarding it. Just a few concerns from a few people has made the issue acknowledged though and I was told to rest assured that it will be looked into.

I agree it is nice for us central alberta guys because we have 3 lakes that increase the chance at catching bigger fish. We need more of these, yes. Edmonton's got one, which is better than Calgary. I moved up here because of the proximity to better fisheries. I feel for the Calgary guys.

Mr. Stelfox has suggested a potential water that could escalate shortly into something special. If you guys really want to get something going, look into getting answers for his questions and contribute as Don Andersen has in the development. Listen to the guys like Don who have done this before. You just have to keep riding the fisheries' guys asses until they put forth an interest in quality fishery development.

Just pointing out what I'd do if I was in your guys' situation. I'll even email a couple people on your behalf and express my interest in some quality fishery development.

On a side note where the hell is Kerbe's pond and what can a guy expect to catch? I've been hearing some good things.

Fellas,

we really do not appreciate all of the work that Don in particular has done for Alberta's quality fisheries. He has been the driving force on Ironside and Fiesta. I've fished both a ton, and appreciate all the hard work that went into setting it up, and all the work they do to maintain it.

??

Guys:

Stuff in no particular order:

* Attendance @ a Fisheries Roundtable has Dick Sh*t to do with doing things for any fishery. Sure it helps to modify/change/add to Fisheries Management Policies. But attendance is not a prerequisite for getting your butt in gear and your hands dirty.

* Jim's idea of using Cochrane Lake is great. Go for it - look it over - see whether or not it can happen

* Kerbe's Pond is south of Stettler. Was stocked for years - winter and summerkilled occasionally. The people in the area took it on - did the leg work, got the funding & got it done. A great example of local people taking responsiblity for making this happen.

* To date, although Organizations have been asked, documentation provided and phone calls made - no money has issued forth from Calgary to support Quality Fisheries in the Rocky>Sundre area. Curiously, if the people from Calgary stayed home, the parking lots would be nearly vacant.

* In fairness however, I've had the pleasure of working with two Calgary folks @ the test fishery that happens each year on Ironside and Fiesta.

I got a email the other day that basically closes the door on any more Quality Lakes in the Rocky area. So to prevent the 37 boats @ one time on Beaver seen this past May long weekend or the 17 boats on Iron side experienced 2 years ago, we had best develop some other lakes. Gotta love the Govt. Got success - for God sake don't repeat it.

What remains to be done:

* Overhaul if possible the non-Quality Lakes in Alberta. Hell, some of them went from 14 lbs.>14" with chuckles and grins from the Biologists involved. Thank God he retired but his legacy lives on.

* Find out who owns the dock thing @ Fiesta and get it fixed.

regards,

Don

Do something to persuade government to improve all the other fisheries to keep people off these potholes.

You guys done such a good job that the fishing is better in potholes than our hundreds of other lakes. Who wants to get skunked when they can take home a limit in no time.

Without a balance, you will see days of 20 plus boats on these puddles a little more often than once a year.

As the other lakes and species degrade, we are all seeing more trout anglers come out of the woodwork.

Have fun with that.

STEELHEAD

Hi Don

I take it that dick sh!t shot was aimed at me so I reckon I better respond. Yer right, the provincial roundtable is not specifically about setting regs on waterbodies. That the role of the regional meeting - which by the sounds of it aren't exactly well attended.

The provincial roundtable advises SRD on broad policies.

Quality trout lakes have gone from an issue that the regional bios had to be dragged into kicking and screaming (as you experienced with Fiesta and the Edmonton boys encountered with Muir) for fear of local political backlash from the Fish and Gamers and the mashmallow hatch chasers.

As ADC and Clive encountered with Police Outpost and Bloom had to fight off with the Bullshead regs review.

As a result of lobbying at the provincial roundtable level by you if I recall, and modest input from me, there is now a policy. Which is a major breakthrough.

But policies aren't worth the paper they're written on unless there's impetus in the community to make the SRD bureaucrats act on them.

So to suggest that the provincial roundtable is "dick sh!t" is unfair to those of us who participate.

My point - as has been expressed by many others at the meetings - is that the lack of participation by Calgarians basically amounts to getting a free ride.

That opinion has been expressed at the roundtable meetings by some of the Edmonton TU guys and has been given as a major reason why the meetings aren't held in Calgary. (The Grande Prairie guys aren't exactly in the picture either although Dave Walty always shows)

I personally would like to see Dolberg go Quality. And how about Swan? There also a West Pit in the works when TransAlta has done mining at Wabamun. There are also a bunch of "no net loss" commitments in the oil sands that the Quality policy could tap into. How about at Sheerness and Paintearth too.

And would Capt. Eyre be too much of a stretch? Probably but it's a nice thought. As for your Dave Christenson e-mail, I suspect that "no" actually means "maybe". Don't the Edmonton TU guys have a pot of oil patch guilt money to spend on a project at Winfield?

boy, I must have been super drunk!!LOL

I'm just bringing up a point that many here seem to have missed. I do that once in a while as i see not many look at the bigger picture. So, my appologies for the tough love kids! Time to take your medicine.

People in this province are very attracted to good fishing, to the point of changing thier target species and tactics. More people come to me day after day to ask more about trout fishing than the species those individuals usually deal with. When asked " why the change?" a typical response is " the trout fishing is better in this province". You should be happy that I suggest flies and flyline and not bobbers and marshmallows!

You keep making it better, and many more will come. More people, more fishing birds, LOL, more Otters.

Alot of your work comes in Baby steps, not giant leaps as it should, due to the growing population of trout anglers hitting the waters. Everytime you see a newbie on these boards say they cant catch walleye, or pike, or perch, is one more person heading the way of trout. And these people will speak out against limited harvests, closures, and the implementation of quality fisheries regs because they dont see your views as helping them catch more fish in these pothole situations. Isnt that funny, there are groups that have spoken out against what you are trying to achieve. It has already started.

Once the rest of our fisheries have improved, your tasks will be easy and flowing.

Until that balance has been achieved, it will just be baby steps and a few hard falls.

You wont get anywhere with a Me Me Me attitude. And then get offended when others shoot down what your trying to do. Give a little, get alot.

Time to do some more brainstorming and find a path that works. The one your on is full of banana peels.

STEELHEAD

And why the heck would calgarians want anything to do with Pothole fishing, when all the best trout fishing in natural streams and settings are all within an hour of, or right in the big C? Your problem is a northern one, where trout fishing is limited. Have you not realized that? You have worked it all to a point where other TU members and organizations are feeling excluded and not seeing fairness within a common name, TU. If making enemies to get get what you want, is the way you found that works, your fight is going to get much worse.

Neil,

Nope - you wrong - what's with that - the attendance thing comment has to do with getting things that have nothing to do with Roundtables. Streamwatch, for example, never saw a Roundtable.

Steelhead

You're right baby steps it is. I've watched the fisheries both flowing and still degrade year after year in baby steps. The Quality Lake fishery policy was an attempt to get a few lakes back to what they were not that many years ago. We've already been informed that there will not be a review of the east slopes fishery for some time. So, I guess, what do you suggest we do now?

And whoops - apologizes to one and all. When I said there was no Trophy Lake fisheries in the Province, Bull Trout in K Country never even came to mind. What I might have said is that there is no Trophy Lake Regulations. I guess, based on my born in Alberta bias, I see Bull trout as good grits much like Newfoundlanders see cod.

catch ya'

Don

Since the provincial government is being stingey with the bucks and wont help out, and wont listen for another couple years,

Have you tried effecting change using the municipal government?

I have seen projects like your get off the ground faster when municipalities are used to "change thier community for the better" or "further educate thier children". Not only that, they have a bigger connection to the provincial government. If we were to persuade a municipal government that this certain pond should have these strict regs to keep this fishery alive, and have regular patrols from enforcement as the vandals and poachers are making the community look as best it can, they can change the laws in that municipality to make it work for the communities. Then its them looking for the cash from the big guys to do all this. I bet they would do most of the fighting for you. Not only that, municipal persuasion can bring many groups to the table to help in volounteer efforts like the scouts to plant trees, the elks to make benches, donations, all sorts of help. They also have a mass amount of very large earth moving equipment.

I have noticed very recently, that many towns and municipalities have created an environmental division in thier ranks due to this green revolution. I offered a silly suggestion once(to one of our CITY environmental divisions), and one of them bit, and was willing to jam a large amount into it. If it has solar, can be done cheap with volounteers, and school project in the equasion, your in!LOL

If not, work on the towns and villages also. These people are always willing to listen and have a bigger voice. They'll drive right to your house sometimes! One of thier citizens being picked on by the provincial government! they wont let that happen. Now THATS the Alberta way.

I think your cutting out the middle man who can make the better deals for you all and can carry you across the banana peels on a flying carpet.

I bet you could get a municipal or town leader to come to a BBQ at your house after a day of fishing, than you could a provincial representitive. Its much easier to make friends with your neighbours.

I must add, you will have to share the glory with many other contributing groups and not be greedy putting the TU name all over it like it was all them that did it. Something like that doesnt scare you all off, does it?

Thats my suggestion. If you have tried that, with no success, my appologies for rambling. I have seen it work so much and sooo well in other provinces, that it is my best suggestion. I have seen only a couple of groups use municipalities in this province, and they got exactly and all they wanted. What, are you all born albertans and never left the province to see how other people in other provinces do things? You could learn something!

But nows the time to hit them if the prov gov isnt going to listen for another 2 years. From what i have seen, theyre just looking to spend alot of provincial cash right now. The more they spend, the more they get next year. They can change laws. They get paid by the government to pressure the government!! How hillarious is that!

STEELHEAD

Steelhead,

And he says"I think your cutting out the middle man who can make the better deals for you all and can carry you across the banana peels on a flying carpet."

And Don replies: Well, in Ironside Pond case if which I raised the funds - the total $'s raised from the Govt of Alberta SRD was matched by the total $'s raised from Calgary folks - you guess it "0". The funds came from The County @ 18% , Alberta Lotteries Recreation Fund @18%, a number of Edmonton based groups 5%, several local groups @1% and the Alberta Conservation Association @ 18% followed by in kind contributions of 40%. Guess I kinda milked the locals.

And Steelhead says "I must add, you will have to share the glory with many other contributing groups and not be greedy putting the TU name all over it like it was all them that did it. Something like that doesn't scare you all off, does it?

And Don replies: The contribution groups were mentioned by name on the sign @ Ironside Pond. TU was only one of the names mentioned. Unfortunately, the sign was vandalized and removed. TU's total involvement in the project were the efforts of 2 members, no TUC or TUC employees took part.

And Steelhead - if you have the time, we can share TUC horror stories some day.

catch ya'

Don