Fly Fusion Forums

Ketchum Release Tool

I have a pair of Dr. Slick hemostats with the "quick release" thing on them. I found it's way easier and faster to just run my hand down the leader and pop the hook out. If the hook is set oddly and you can't do that then the quick release tool won't work either I'd think. Just one more piece of equipment you don't really need.

• 3 years later...

Hey all,

Thought I'd resurrect this topic and get peoples thoughts. I've a couple of these but rarely use them. I've found 95-98ish/100 fish can be released by hand and the hemostats take care of the rest. Like many have said it's just one more thing to carry.

That said, I noticed in my log book that I fished nearly an entire season with the tool a few years ago and went without hardly touching a fish and I wrecked fewer flies removing them. The tool does a nice job cradling the fly while it's removed.

Anybody use these day in/day out while they're on the water?

Robert

I use one when I'm stillwater fishing with very small flies like chironomids. Trying to remove a small hook, especially on a big fish (I get one every now and then), is difficult simply because there's not much to grip. This tool pops the flie out quite easily. I doubt that' I'd ever bother dragging one around on rivers and creeks. I already have too much junk hanging off my vest. Terry

Tkx for the thoughts. I'm comfortable removing flies but once in a while a fish squirms at the right moment while I'm holding the fly to remove it and I wreck the fly/mess up the hackle, etc. Perhaps I'm off on my technique. Any thoughts on this?

This was the reason I originally tried this tool....seems to protect the fly in the tube during removal....but like many folks I've been able to remove the hooks without it so it stays at home in a drawer.