Fly Fusion Forums

Sun Protection

Ok so I am getting a little tired of the seemingly inevitable fly-fishers tan (or burn in my case) after each outing. You know the one where wrists and the tops of your for arms are nice and pink and the rest of you is white, ok so that might be just be me.

Anyways I was wondering who uses what to protect them selves while fly fishing?

I am considering getting some of those sun gloves and those long sleeve shirts that seem to be popular when fishing in the tropics. I can't seem to find sun screen that is waterproof enough to stand up to dunking ones hands in the water occasionally and even the small amount of water that you get when stripping line.

spf 60 (Umbrell) in the morning, long sleeves and a hat. I work outside, as well, so I don't mess around.

Yeah, the Ombreille(?) spf 60 stuff is what I use as well. They also have waterproof stuff and it doesn't smell like some of the other stuff out there so doesn't attract bees and other bugs as much. The other trick is to remember to reapply every so often throughout the day. Simms, Patagonia, Columbia, and probably others make lots of UPF clothing too. Also, if you're bald remember to throw some sunscreen on your head before you put your hat on if it doesn't have UPF.

Also, if you're bald remember to throw some sunscreen on your head before you put your hat on if it doesn't have UPF.

Wait a minute, does hair have UPF? If not, then all you hairy bastages need to lather up.

Heh, not sure if hair offers any actual UV protection. I just know that I became much more conscious of it after I started shaving my head. If you've ever sunburned your scalp you know it only takes once until you start taking precautions. I own more hats now than I ever did before.

Hmm, now that I think of it, I never sunburned my scalp until after I shaved my head, so maybe hair does give you some protection.

Being an old bugger with many moons(and suns) in unshaded environments, from age 55 yrs I have developed a "sun allergy" that manifests itself as an itchy rash and small blisters on the backs of my hands and forearms. It is a precursor to skin cancer. SPF 50-60 (Safeway has an inexpensive waterproof type), sungloves and long-sleeves are my "flyfishing ensemble" for the past 10 years or so.

It's just something one must do to avoid a potential ugliness such as Melanoma. Damned if I'll give up flyfishing.

j

Being an old bugger with many moons(and suns) in unshaded environments, from age 55 yrs I have developed a "sun allergy" that manifests itself as an itchy rash and small blisters on the backs of my hands and forearms. It is a precursor to skin cancer. SPF 50-60 (Safeway has an inexpensive waterproof type), sungloves and long-sleeves are my "flyfishing ensemble" for the past 10 years or so.

It's just something one must do to avoid a potential ugliness such as Melanoma. Damned if I'll give up flyfishing.

j

As one who has spent far too long in the sun as well, I should probably follow your lead. But I can't bring myself to do so, though I do wear long sleeves sometimes.

Funny you should mention an "inexpensive" version on a Fly Fishing website. If many of these guys could find a highly overpriced version from Patagonia or Simms, it would outsell the Safeway version 10 to 1.

I use Coppertone Sport. SPF 30. Waterproof, sweat proof. Use it both for Golfing and Fishing. Works great. Never had a burn when I use it.

That's what I use as well. I also always fish with a hat on, partly for the sun, and partly to protect my head from the odd hook on a poor cast. I still end up with a sunglass tan and the "brown glove" tan, but those are the marks of a happy fisherman. :)

Used this stuff all last summer during outdoor field work - Kinesys

It needs the occasional reapplication (what doesn't), but I can't go back to anything else now.

Edit: oh yeah, and working in wetlands it was important that the stuff be decently waterproof.

"Funny you should mention an "inexpensive" version on a Fly Fishing website.

Sorry Rick, kind of lost it there for a sec. Reverted back to being the habitual "frrrrrugal lad". :)

j

http://www.agsbrands.com/suncare.html

Aloe Gator 40+

Used it in Cuba... put it on in the morning, after snorkelling and hours in the sun the only thing to burn was my ever growing bald spot that I didn't lube up.

Great stuff... it's what the divers and surfers use, it should be fine for fishing.

On top of that I have a couple of the Buff scarves... good for when my neck and ears are feeling toasty when I don't have suncreen.

• 2 weeks later...
I really like Backcountry Labs' Extreme Elements SPF 45.

I tried some of this the other day when I was out and I didn't get burnt. Absorbs very well and seemed to hold up pretty well to getting wet.

Still gonna try to get some those sun gloves as my hands seem to be sensitive even if they don't end up burnt.