Fly Fusion Forums

Which Rod...?

nick

Hi. I'm a total green horn to Spey fishing, don't even have a rod. I'm looking at either an 11 foot 6wt spey that I can use as a switch rod, or a 12.5 foot 8/9 weight. I will be using it mostly for trout (maybe some of the smaller salmon, but I wouldn't be planning on it), and mostly in AB, with a trip or two to BC trout streams each year. I'm a pretty traditional style fly fisher, so for the most part I wouldn't be using it to chuck huge heavy stuff a mile and a half, or to sink bulky nymph rigs very often. I would most likely use it for high-stick nymphing, wetfly and streamer swinging.

What do you guys recommend? Pros and cons of each? Thanks a million.

Nick

If you're using it on the bow a 6 weight is fine - a 8/9 would be a bit of overkill on the Bow if you're not using heavy tips or if you don't plan on finding steelhead or salmon. I use polyleaders with the 5/6 TFO Deer Creek 12.5 foot and a scandi head on the Bow for streamers and it matches up pretty good with an Airflo Delta for a more traditional line. Keep your eyes out for the next Spey gathering if you want to try a few different setups.

I am fairly new to the spey game as well and i had the same questions when i was getting started. There's lots of good info in this section about this topic, it's been discussed on here before. I am no expert on the subject, but i can give you my point of view since i own both a switch and a spey rod. If i was strictly going out swinging streamers, a spey is the way to go. It has the power to pull the flies out of the water with ease. I can do it with my switch but it is a little more work and i do not get the distance or control i would with the spey. If i was going to spend a day high sticking nymphs, i would use my switch on the basis of weight alone. The spey rod is much heavier and i think my arm would tire if i used it to high stick any great length of time. Its tough to say which one is better, they both serve there purpose. Most days when i head out, i will pack both in the truck, but 9 times out of 10 its the switch rod i rig up and take to the river. It's more well rounded for me, and it gives me the option to do a little of everything. If i was to head to BC to fish for salmon, the spey would be the only way. My little switcher would be far to light to handle those brutes. I hope this helps.

Just like Max and cheeler said, something in the 5-7 weight range if you want to swing streamers with sink tips. I use a 12' 6 wt on the Bow and love it but it might get too heavy for high sticking though. For that I'd go with either a long single hander or a switch. Now the next challenge will be to find a rod and line combination that suits you the most.

I've been throwing the the 5/6 TFO Deer Creek for a couple of years now. Great rod for the price. Designed for TFO by Bob Meiser who has designed some of the most superb Spey rods out there. Also you can't beat the warranty.

nice enough rod for the money but not really a 5/6. Should in fact be called 7 weight. Two examples of REAL 6 weights (in very different price points) wwould be the Loop GASS #6 12' and the Amundson Wind Warrior 11' #6.

Hi. I'm a total green horn to Spey fishing, don't even have a rod. I'm looking at either an 11 foot 6wt spey that I can use as a switch rod, or a 12.5 foot 8/9 weight. I will be using it mostly for trout (maybe some of the smaller salmon, but I wouldn't be planning on it), and mostly in AB, with a trip or two to BC trout streams each year. I'm a pretty traditional style fly fisher, so for the most part I wouldn't be using it to chuck huge heavy stuff a mile and a half, or to sink bulky nymph rigs very often. I would most likely use it for high-stick nymphing, wetfly and streamer swinging.

What do you guys recommend? Pros and cons of each? Thanks a million.

Nick

Hey Nick

What are you using for a single hand now? Why not learn some Spey moves with your single hand? It is a great way to learn Spey casting (either constant tension or traditional). Then make a decision on a rod.

ScandiCaster