Fly Fusion Forums

Motor Battery

I've got an old Sears and Roebuck small electric trolling motor. Any recomendations on a decent (cheap) battery to buy? I've got a 2 year old battery sitting in a restoration car, would this be okay?

thanks

You need a deep cyle battery.

I've got some good ones - but you can't buy them. My first battery was one of the energizer deep cells from WalMart - that thing was awesome and lasted for years. Not sure if they still sell them. Canuck Wheel sells some as well. Cycling (charging/discharging) a regular battery doesn't work - it will only last a few cycles beore it dies. Also best not to run you battery right down to nothing or leave it discharged. Get one big enough so you only have to run it down to 50% or so before recharging.

I just bought two 205 reserve capacity batteries from Rockys battery in Edmonton for $256.Rockys (North end) apparantly got bought out by Deca (golf cart battery man) and they may be cheaper than other locations.

For $ per reserve capacity Rockys battery was the best. Of the places I checked this is how they rated for $ per reserve capacity:

Rockys ( $128 for 205 reserve capacity)

Canadian Tire ( $140 for 205 reserve capacity)

The Fishin Hole (???)

Cosco ($97 for 105 reserve capacity)

I have used the Can Tire batteries extensively for the last 5 years. They last about 150 cycles which from what gather is about correct. So thats about a dollar per outing.

The last deep cycle battery I bought (last Sept.) was from Interstate Batteries over on Barlow Tr. and about 61 ave. I paid $40.00 for a large capacity one. The deal is the ones that do not sell in their retail outlets in a certain amount of time, I think it's a year all get brought back and sold as out dated at a reduced cost. The selection varies depending on several factors but it's worth a trip or phone call anyway. When I was there last I asked if there really is a reason to use the RV type of battery or was it just a scam. I got a very good answer from the the guy at the counter explaining just what the difference is between a standard car battery and a deep cycle type. I can't relate it here but the explanation madse a lot of sense. The long and the short of it was, for things like a trollng motor, the deep cycle is the best option by far.

Murray

It's really going to depend on how much power your motor draws. The smallest, oldest MinKota draws just under 2 amps(at all speeds). Look closely at the battery labels and read the Amp/hr rating, that will tell you. Also look for the number of "cycles" on the label. A "cycle" is a charge, whether a deep charge or a small one, that's how many charges the battery is good for.

-Do not use a manual charger on a deep cycle battery. Use a charger designed for deep cycle batts or a 1 amp trickle charger over a couple of days.

-Do use a battery box with a layer of insulation (piece of carpet or something) in the bottom to separate the battery from the bottom of the boat

-Do charge your battery up after every use,if at all possible

-Deep Cycle batts are designed to be able to "take" deep discharges, but not all the time.

-When it comes to batteries "heavier is better". More weight, thicker plates, longer life.

j

There are only 3 manufacturers of batteries in North America- Exide, Delco and Johnston Controls. They make batteries for everybody, so if the specs are the same the batteries are the same regardless of price. Try and get the freshest batteries you can- they are all dated as to date of manufacture

Regards Mike