Fly Fusion Forums

How Often Should I Replace My Line?

seanbritt

Christmas 2007 my wife bought me a new Sage FLi690 and some new line to go with it, SA GPX. I've used it for about 126 outings now and have cleaned it once. I've noticed its starting to crack and is getting more challenging to cast. I've heard folks replace their lines anywhere from every year to every 5 years. Any suggestions on what the tell tale signs are for new line?

Sean,

If it's cracking, you need new line!

I have heard of people that clean their line after every outing - a bit excessive IMHO. Maybe cleaning every 4th, 5th or 10th, depending on how often you get out...

P

Christmas 2007 my wife bought me a new Sage FLi690 and some new line to go with it, SA GPX. I've used it for about 126 outings now and have cleaned it once. I've noticed its starting to crack and is getting more challenging to cast. I've heard folks replace their lines anywhere from every year to every 5 years. Any suggestions on what the tell tale signs are for new line?

If it is just cracking at the tip you can cut off a bit from the front, it may help. Circular cracking along the line is a sign you need a replacement. Regular cleaning will extend the life of your line dramatically. There is a section on my blog about line care here. How often you clean depends on fishing conditions. There are waters that I fish when I clean daily. You can pick up a lot of contaminants that can work on the line such as floating gas and oil. UV rays also contribute so don't leave you lined reel in the back window of your car for example.

don't leave you lined reel in the back window of your car for example.

Also a good way of having to replace your line, reel, and a car window...

I've found that the durability of a line is also related to the line manufacturer. I clean my lines fairly regularly and some from certain manufacturers just start cracking and splitting sooner than others.

With the amount of fishing I do I find that during certain periods of the year is a big factor, I usally end up having to replace my line after the winter fishin is done, due to the cold weather cause damage and once after the summer months is over and this is due to the extreme heat.

I have never cxleaned my lines and usally get a line or two in a year.

Thanks everyone for the helpful comments! SilverDoctor, thanks for the link to the blog too! Looks like I can get a few more weeks out of it if I clean it, then its time for new line. I know what I'm asking for for my birthday....

i never use too clean my line and in a 200+ day season i would go through 5 or 6 lines easy on my main bow river rods... cleaning them helps a ton! they shot better too! cheaper lines will damage easier pricier lines have better and tougher coatings so it can be worth teh bucks! if you fish 100 days or so on a line i would say its worth a change.. but if she isnt cracked up and not sinking dont worry about it! if the floating line sinks u can keep on fishing it or change it if you wish... some people fish them out til death when they are cracked too sh*t or u can change em teh second they start too sink on you... it al depends.. i still use a fwe lines a year on my main stick and find loop and airflows lines too be tougher than others frm my abuse!

My lines always seems to go to hell during the winter. Now I replace them in the spring and fish my beat up lines during the winter. Unfortunately I rarely clean my lines so I buy lines pretty frequently. Three in the past 12 months...