Fly Fusion Forums

Earth Day

The river clean up I organize is always scheduled for a Saturday near Earth Day. This year's event is Saturday the 25th.

I've spent many hours already shepherding my volunteers who now number 244. We clean a 25 mile stretch of trout water in western Wisconsin. Last year we pulled a couple thousand pounds of trash and a couple thousand pounds of recyclables out of the river. Angler reports lately have the fishing good and the cleanliness excellent, so maybe we're putting ourselves out of a "job" after 5 years. Maybe residents of that county are treating every day like Earth Day now.

And I'm going to ponder how long it will take C-train riders to get home when the wind turbines stop spinning.

Or how come anything that is listed "GREEN" cost twice as much, takes 4 times the product to do 1/2 of the job. Just gotta make sense to someone.

Don

Ok Rick, that made me laugh out loud.

Personally, I think Earth Day is just something that lets people feel better about themselves for having done something for one day. It doesn't mean much if you do nothing the rest of the year. And before anyone slams me, here are the every day things I've changed over the last few years:

- installed low flow shower heads (my place already has low flow toilets)

- switched to phosphate-free laundry and dishwasher detergent and dish soap

- making sure to always switch off lights when I leave a room

- went from a car with a gas-guzzling V6 to a fuel-efficient 4 cyl when the lease was up

- wear a sweater instead of turning up the heat

- pour some water into the sink when shaving or doing dishes rather than leaving it running

And probably a few other things that I've missed. I didn't change things drastically and all at once. None of these changes has put me out significantly, either. Asking people to do that is a surefire way to create resentment and resistance. This isn't meant to make me sound holier than thou, but maybe get people doing more year round rather than on one day. The river cleanup on Earth Day is a great idea, though.

Here's a picture of the aftermath of the first Earth Day in 1970 from National Geographic to drive the point home...

090421-08-clean-up_big.jpg