Fly Fusion Forums

Advice For New Reel

YYCSpeedy

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 5 wt fly rod, and I'd like to replace the reel.

I only get out 6 or 7 times per year, so I'm not looking to spend a huge amount of money . . . probably around $100 or so (+/- $50). Most of my fishing is done in stillwaters from a float tube, and I'm going for smaller rainbows at Buller Pond, Lees Lake, or places like that. I go in search of my first grayling once or twice a year with absolutely no success to date (but that's a whole different thread, isn't it?). The biggest fish I've caught in the last 5 years was an 18" rainbow at Bullshead last year. During that trip to Bullshead, I spent a good 45 minutes disentangling the birdsnest in my reel after connecting and subsequently disconnecting with another nice rainbow. :$*%&: I now understand the value of a good drag system!

Can you please give me your advice and a little background on terminology so that I don't sound like a complete twit when I walk into the fly shop to actually start shopping? From what I've read on-line, I think I'm probably after a mid-arbour reel, but I'm undecided on disc vs spring-and-pawl type drags. What else should I consider? Are there particular brands that I should stick with or avoid? Am I better to stick with a small flyshop, or am I better off with a National or Bass Pro?

Any advice you can provide would be very valuable. Thanks everyone.

pfleufer makes a few nice reels for that price if u coudl swing a little more money i would say the loop multi is the best bang for you buck!!!!! lifetime warranty too!

Max has it dead on, Pfleufer has been making great reels since 1881. In your price range.

I've tried the Trion, fantastic reel for the money. Was curious where in town you picked yours up?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I wound up with a Pflueger Trion. It was a little more than I planned on spending, but I'm happy with it. Now, if I could just figure out how to get those grayling to bite . . . . :laxfisher:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I wound up with a Pflueger Trion. It was a little more than I planned on spending, but I'm happy with it. Now, if I could just figure out how to get those grayling to bite . . . . :laxfisher:

Great choice. You'll really like it!