Fly Fusion Forums

Patterns For Rising Chironomids....any Ideas....

I'm looking for ideas on patterns to tie for rising chironomids.....Anybody tied anything that works well? I'm assuming I"m looking for something that will sit in the film. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
serendipity tied with clipped deer hair in black or palomino midge,black

Also think shiny because of the gas film around the chronomid. I use a basic pattern that has a shiny bead, thread as a base, a wrap of silver or pearl tinsel anti-static bag, or something similar, then wire over body with peacock herl just below the bead. If the fish are keyed in it usually produces a strike within seconds of hitting the water.

If you tie it with just a very sparse foil body, then it is a killer emerger, add a couple of wraps of very thin wire along the foil body and it becomes a very productive nymph/attractor.

Brian's Lady McConnell is my most successful emerging pattern:

Brian_s_Lady_McConnell.jpg

A #16 Dusty Miller:

Dusty_Miller.jpg

And Brian's #14 Black Hackle, conceived many moons ago:

black_hackle.jpg

j

I agree Jack;

I love the lady Mc Connel. one of the best Emerging Chironomid patterns EVER!!!!

Rick

A little off topic here. I don't post often but really enjoy the tips and pics here. As far as chironomid type fishing goes what is the best way to fish these?? I'm planning a trip down to the Blood Indian reservoir after the ice is off and was hoping to get some good ideas on how to beat my buddy who takes great pleasure in thumping me whenever we go down there. Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for ideas on patterns to tie for rising chironomids.....Anybody tied anything that works well? I'm assuming I"m looking for something that will sit in the film. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

I've had great luck on still waters with small (14 or 16) Warren March Brown Emergers during midge hatches. I go to them if standard chironomid patters aren't working well.

Good luck!

A little off topic here. I don't post often but really enjoy the tips and pics here. As far as chironomid type fishing goes what is the best way to fish these?? I'm planning a trip down to the Blood Indian reservoir after the ice is off and was hoping to get some good ideas on how to beat my buddy who takes great pleasure in thumping me whenever we go down there. Thanks in advance.

Have a look at this http://flyfishcalgary.com/chironomids.php

If you want the jump on very productive fishing with emerging chironomids, after ice-off, look closely at the deciduous trees. The instant those trees leaf buds open is the exact time chironomids emerge on stillwaters. Apparently, it takes the same heat units to open leaf buds on aspen, willow, etc as it does for the first emergence. Just something that I've noticed and used successfully in the past years or two or five or ten, or so. :)

j

I was out on this past Sunday and they seemed to be surfacing for 15 or so minutes at one point. It was the warmest point of the day for sure....it was really the first time I could see the emergence as well as the fish keying on them for a short time.

Here are a couple picks of what I have done so far. Any critiques are welcome.

post-2704-1239847896.jpg

Golfman09,

I'm with the others on the Lady McConnel EXCEPT that the deer hair overback doesn't wear well. It shreds fast. Substitute a darker grey or elk brown over- back of craft foam. A liberal coating of fly floatant will keep it up for a long while.

As far as chironomids - been fishing them for the past 10 days in BC. They were hatching like crazy. Landed fish up to 8 lbs. on black ones suspended 28' down under a yarn indicator. The bugs pumped out were coal black with a few of olive c/w black rib.

catch ya'

Don