Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Fish Finder Mount And Rod Holders

just looking for ideas. i have a scadden northwest express that i use lake fishing it has a gas motor. i was using my fishing buddy but you cant travel with it in the water because the rod is has too much drag in the water any ideas ? also i cant seem to find a good way to mount rod holders

just looking for ideas. i have a scadden northwest express that i use lake fishing it has a gas motor. i was using my fishing buddy but you cant travel with it in the water because the rod is has too much drag in the water any ideas ? also i cant seem to find a good way to mount rod holders

Some guys like the scotty system they have rail mounts that attach to the frame,kinda big and bulky.They also have some that strap around the toon.Myself i have some homemade models that are small and work fine.Do you have steel or aluminum frame?

Scotty has a mount type rod holder

Just mount it to the frame that sits on top of the toons. (Do not wrap it around the toon. i talked to dave scadden and told me that it could cause damage as the toons as they expand during the day warm up. if they toons burst he will void warranty)

when you say you can not use the fishing buddy traveling in water, do you mean going from place to place or when you are trolling or moving slowly? Was thinking of getting a fishin' buddy but wasn't quite sure if i should go that way or a portable one with a transducer.

m

post-2513-1238945160.gif

yeah when i am trolling or even rowing i have used the transom mount and the strap, like tungsten mentioned the pontoons expand and contract and its hard to keep the fishing buddy plumb it always wants to rotate down. the transom mount for the buddy is not rigid enough to support it when moving through the water so i end up taking it out when trolling or traveling, with my 5hp gas motor there is no dry storage on the rear deck. what type of mount do you have for your scotty rod holder ? having the bulky plastic rubbing on my toons concerns me as there is allot more load with the gas engine

post-1873-1238961296.jpg

yeah when i am trolling or even rowing i have used the transom mount and the strap, like tungsten mentioned the pontoons expand and contract and its hard to keep the fishing buddy plumb it always wants to rotate down. the transom mount for the buddy is not rigid enough to support it when moving through the water so i end up taking it out when trolling or traveling, with my 5hp gas motor there is no dry storage on the rear deck. what type of mount do you have for your scotty rod holder ? having the bulky plastic rubbing on my toons concerns me as there is allot more load with the gas engine

I originally purchased 2 of the scotty units for my pontoon. when i took the pontoon out i started to use only the ones on the dave scadden side bags more. i mainly use it to hold the rod as i row vs. trolling. decided to save the $80.oo. If you are worried that the hard plastic is going to damage the toons maybe try to add some of that stick on felt to the bottom of the unit and have that rest on the toon. Anyway sweet boat.

Sweet ride.I saw a boat where he took a peace of plastic like 3/16 thick heated it and bent it into shape to match the curve of the top of the frame,just to the inside of your oar locks, then zip tied it to the frame.He had a rod and drink holder attached also his fish finder monitor.

craneguy,

I've made saddles that hold lots of things out of a 5 gal plastic pail. Cut out the strip with a jig saw, sand edges, pop rivet "things" to the plastic saddle. Web straps c/w Fastex buckles [http://www.fastex.com.au/classic_buckles.htm] hold it where you want. The bottom of the plastic strip can be lined with the same stuff that lines cupboards to keep plates from sliding.

catch ya'

Don

For my fishfinder, I made a small platform for the viewer that straps to the frame. For the transducer, I made a little gizmo that is permanently attached beneath the seat, which then attaches to the transducer using rare earth magnets (available at Lee Valley Tools). The magnets are very strong and provide a simple means to quickly attach and remove the transducer. The battery (small 12v gell cell) gets stored in the saddle bag. Terry

ffinder1.jpg

The rare earth magnet and the top end of the rod for the transducer

ffinder2.jpg

The magnet attached beneath the seat (upside down view).

ffinder4.jpg

The transducer in place (upside down view)

ffinder3.jpg

For my fishfinder, I made a small platform for the viewer that straps to the frame. For the transducer, I made a little gizmo that is permantly attached beneath the seat, which then attaches to the transducer using rare earth magnets (available at Lee Valley Tools). The magnets are very strong and provide a simple means to quickly attach and remove the transducer. The battery (small 12v gell cell) gets stored in the saddle bag. Terry

ffinder1.jpg

The rare earth magnet and the top end of the rod for the transducer

ffinder2.jpg

The magnet attached beneath the seat (upside down view).

ffinder4.jpg

The transducer in place (upside down view)

ffinder3.jpg

Very nice work. Does your sliding platform get in the way of the transducer assembly? Those magnets are the expensive?

M

Very nice work. Does your sliding platform get in the way of the transducer assembly? Those magnets are the expensive? M

Not sure what you mean by "sliding platform." I have a pontoon wheel (Launching Gear brand), which is attached to the seat frame. The transducer system attaches to part of the wheel system. Otherwise, you'd have to build something that attaches to the seat frame. The rare earth magnets are not expensive (under $5 for a 3/4" pair, including the a disc and holding cup). Terry

see http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...,42348&ap=1

Not sure what you mean by "sliding platform." I have a pontoon wheel (Launching Gear brand), which is attached to the seat frame. The transducer system attaches to part of the wheel system. Otherwise, you'd have to build something that attaches to the seat frame. The rare earth magnets are not expensive (under $5 for a 3/4" pair, including the a disc and holding cup). Terry

see http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...,42348&ap=1

Dave Scadden boats have sliding standing platform that slides under the seat. Looking at the pictures just realized that you boat is not a Scadden boat. Idea is still neet just need to find an alternate location for the assembly. Maybe to the bottom of the platform!

Thanks for the details.

M

I tried a small electric motor on my 'toon a few years back;it didn't track worth crap,& I was constantly fighting to try & run in a somewhat straight line.

Do you guys have the same problem,or,a solution for this?

I tried a small electric motor on my 'toon a few years back;it didn't track worth crap,& I was constantly fighting to try & run in a somewhat straight line.

Do you guys have the same problem,or,a solution for this?

The motor works much better if it pulls you rather than push.So the front of the boat is the back,leave the motor in the middle set your speed and steer with oars or fins.Works well trolling in a lake your facing your lines then.If you want to cover ground in a hurry you put the motor in rabbit and row at the same time.Works just as well on the river too,i steer with my fins to keep me just the right distance from shore,the motor runs to slow me down.Hope this helps..

Another option for the transducer is to mount it to the bottom of a bike kick stand and attach

the kickstand to the rails that your seat mounts to. When not in use I remove the bottom

part of the kickstand that the transducer is mounted to and put up the kickstand so it's out of

the way. I been using it for over a year and it works great.

Another option for the transducer is to mount it to the bottom of a bike kick stand and attach

the kickstand to the rails that your seat mounts to. When not in use I remove the bottom

part of the kickstand that the transducer is mounted to and put up the kickstand so it's out of

the way. I been using it for over a year and it works great.

nice i like that idea ! my boat tracks great at high speed with the gas motor but not so good going slow