Fly Fusion Forums

I Eat Fish!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yep, galic butter and salt is all you need, if your up at elbow keep going to tomb stone and hit the cuts up there. Its the same deal as Elbow where there are tones of fish for a limited food supply. Man are they voratious (spelling) up there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, galic butter and salt is all you need, if your up at elbow keep going to tomb stone and hit the cuts up there. Its the same deal as Elbow where there are tones of fish for a limited food supply. Man are they voratious (spelling) up there.

Elbow River Citts are pure westslopes... one of the reason they are going endangered is that they are voracious, and easily impacted by angling (over harvest, mis-handling, hooking injuries, etc).

I'll only eat brookies... and then its becoming a rare thing (Sorry Taco).

I take only stocked trouts, as it is illegal to take wild trout here in South Finland. When fishing abroad, I C&R.

When keep, I bunk them with a priest and cut two-three gills across (full of blood veins) and let the blood flow out... I was taught to do so, because fish keeps fresh more this way. I also remove the gut right away. After that I store it in a portable cooler.

I often steam them in oven with plenty of herbs stucked into the cavern. Place a bowl of water on the bottom to generate enough steam.

However, my favorite is home smoked trout (with little sugar or honey and alder chips). I heard you guys in Canada use different tree for smoking fish. What was that?

Here are two:

post-2550-1238186807.jpg

I take only stocked trouts, as it is illegal to take wild trout here in South Finland. When fishing abroad, I C&R.

When keep, I bunk them with a priest and cut two-three gills across (full of blood veins) and let the blood flow out... I was taught to do so, because fish keeps fresh more this way. I also remove the gut right away. After that I store it in a portable cooler.

I often steam them in oven with plenty of herbs stucked into the cavern. Place a bowl of water on the bottom to generate enough steam.

However, my favorite is home smoked trout (with little sugar or honey and alder chips). I heard you guys in Canada use different tree for smoking fish. What was that?

Here are two:

I use mesquite chips and maple syrup for trout and salmon.. some use apple or hickory chips

Damn nice stocker trout...

Just because there are no Walleye's in the Bow, that doesnt mean there are no Walleye's in the province, or within a few hours of Calgary. If you look 'outside the box' and check out the regs, there are SEVERAL Southern AB lakes which allow you to keep up to 3 Walleyes over 50cm.

That is all.

Plenty of Walleye in the Bow..just look below the Box <--poke--<

Alder for smoke..I'd imagine that would be fairly bitter no?

wouldn't think so, that westcoast smoked salmon you can buy is mostly alder smoked, come to think of it, I've bought alder smoked bacon too

wouldn't think so, that westcoast smoked salmon you can buy is mostly alder smoked, come to think of it, I've bought alder smoked bacon too

Interesting, Iv'e always considered alder to be more of a weed than anything else..never heard of or considered smoking with it..minght have to give it a go

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i havent taken any brookies out of the river just the head waters where they are trapped by glacier water and a 90ft water fall. But dont worry, i eat cutts too! no bows or browns or dulls but dolly vardons are on my list for this year.

If there was a lake here that we were allowed to keep walleye there would be some supper time walleye thats for sure.

Are there any Walleye in Spruce Coulee? Seems like they're encouraging that supper time meal?

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Spruce Coulee – Open all year – Trout limit 5; Walleye limit 3 (no size limit). Harvest encouraged to remove illegally stocked walleye from stocked Brook Trout fishery.

Are there any Walleye in Spruce Coulee? Seems like they're encouraging that supper time meal?

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Spruce Coulee – Open all year – Trout limit 5; Walleye limit 3 (no size limit). Harvest encouraged to remove illegally stocked walleye from stocked Brook Trout fishery.

unfortunately...yes, there are Walleye in Spruce although I have personally not seen or caught one myself. I heard of someone hooking up to a fairly large one through the ice a few weeks back but it was lost at the ice surface....the fellow also caught some Brooktrout so it is nice to see they are making it through the winter despite the drawdown of the water for the dam rehabilitation.

The most important thing about eating fresh fish is to get it cold fast. The colder the better; the faster the better. When I plan on keeping fish I try to have a cooler of crushed ice. Bonk the fish, rip the fish and pack it with ice, inside and out.

Sorry mang, ain't from around C'holm nor Ab either, it's from one of the more enlightened States farther south....20 brook daily/unlimited in possession. In other words "organic fertilizer" Tis a good thang Mang!

Hey 420 - check your consumption reccomendations on those glacier fed waters - especially poor circulating or draining lakes - 100 years of polution is rapidly melting off glacial surfaces leaving some nasty stuff, especially in fairly still waters. Most locals up here won't eat much of anything out of Bow Lake these days - more and more stories and examples of mutated and lesioned fish coming out lately. Fish up here grow real slow and so what seems like a young fish can be pretty old, and thus be hauling around a good deal of heavy metals etc etc. fish make almost as good filters as they do meals.

For guilt free eating nothing beats fly-in walleye fishing in Northern Ontario (arctic watershed) shore lunch walleye, so fresh it says ouch when you bite it, mmmmmmmm fried up with a pancake batter and cole slaw....ahhhhhh - this thread is killing me...