Fly Fusion Forums

Bull Trout And Porcupine

Candian Field-Naturalist is reported the first ever interaction between a bull trout and porcupine. IE: some crazy bull trout decided to take a swipe at a porcy and ended up with quill in his jaw. I think I'm going to whip up a few of my new porcupine pattern tonight. Big hooks and lots of tooth picks.

http://www.ofnc.ca/cfn/121-4/Cott-Mochnacz.pdf

I wonder if the porcupine got the point..?

I saw a picture on another site and I would score the bout porcupine 1 - Bull trout 0. The bull definitely had a few sizeable spikes in his maw that he had been carting around for who knows how long.

Cool story.

I once saw an underwater video of some bulls that were spawning and a Harlequin duck was diving to get the eggs. Eventually the bull got pissed and grabbed the duck and gave it a good shake. The guys had an underwater movie camera that could be navigated by remote control around the stream bed. Pretty amazing footage.

Cool story.

I once saw an underwater video of some bulls that were spawning and a Harlequin duck was diving to get the eggs. Eventually the bull got pissed and grabbed the duck and gave it a good shake. The guys had an underwater movie camera that could be navigated by remote control around the stream bed. Pretty amazing footage.

Okay.. you have to find that for us!

That's a crazy picture!

The video was made by BC bios watching the Bulls spawn near Fernie. I was invited to a private screening at a Bull trout conference years ago. The video is probably not available for the public anywhere.

The conference in Canmore (99 or 97 or something)??

I'd love to see that vid.

Found whole ducks in Pike... a whole len thompson, awhole crayfish in pike, mice in all sorts of trout...

Trout will eat American Dippers too... so big feather flies will work.

Bob,

The article above was written by a friend in NWT... very cool to find something like that, "the first recorded interatcion between fish and porkies"...

Weird stuff always happens to him.