Fly Fusion Forums

Need A New Vise

cohod

My old Vise gave up Last night so I'm on the hunt for a new one.

Looking for some advise...

Criteria: must be able to use it for small nymphs and drys to big pike and saltwater fly's and also not cost an arm and a leg...is there such a beast out there?

what do you suggest?

Thanks All

cohod

I just received my Danvise from EBAY and have no complaints thus far.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-TRUE-ROTARY-DANVISE...%3A1|240%3A1318

Criteria: must be able to use it for small nymphs and drys to big pike and saltwater fly's and also not cost an arm and a leg...is there such a beast out there?

what do you suggest?

Thanks All

cohod

what do you suggest?

Thanks All

cohod

Easy

Search the forum for for fly tying vices, there have been many posts with this question. do a bit of research.

1) Go to a good fly shop

2) let them pick out the vices in your price range

3) Try a couple and see which one you like.

Enjoy tying, lots of good fices out there.

right on guys Thanks for the info... I was looking for some direction, my last vise lasted 20 years and couldn't tell you the name of it...done the online searching and spent some time today looking at some different vices... I've been out of the loop for a bit now so I was looking for some advise as to what direction to go lots of crap out there.

Thanks again

cohod

I think the Dyna King is the best vice on the market. It certainly does everything I need done and as a commercial tier, I put lots of hooks through it.

Quality construction is very important in a vice. Also the jaws have two groves in them for larger hooks so there is not as much pressure placed on the hook while tying. I suggest giving one a look.

LeRoy

I think the Dyna King is the best vice on the market. It certainly does everything I need done and as a commercial tier, I put lots of hooks through it.

Quality construction is very important in a vice. Also the jaws have two groves in them for larger hooks so there is not as much pressure placed on the hook while tying. I suggest giving one a look.

LeRoy

I'll give the Dyna King a look thanks LeRoy.

Thanks for all the feed back guys!

still doing lots of research so please keep the suggestions coming.

cohod

LeRoy

Which Dyna King are you tying on these days Leroy. Always liked the look of that vice.

I really like the Voyager II. It is small enough to break down and fit into a small padded pouch that comes with it. It is not designed as a rotary vice but I use it as one at times. Very well made and you should never have to up grade to something else.

I really like the Voyager II. It is small enough to break down and fit into a small padded pouch that comes with it. It is not designed as a rotary vice but I use it as one at times. Very well made and you should never have to up grade to something else.

I tie on a Nor_Vice most of the time but want to pick up something compact for traveling adn doing shows and clubs. I'll check it out.