Fly Fusion Forums

Pike On The Fly

Kippersnack.

Out of curiosity, I called to see what the deal is with overnight camping outside the campgrounds. She said that it is not allowed. That is the main reason Rolling Hills Reservoir campground was set up. (She's a land administrator for the EID) She can deny Encana well service access, so I suppose she has some stroke. I can give you her name and number if you want. What anyone on this board does, personally, I could give a damn less. But the subject came up, and as a bit of advice I passed on what I know. I personally don't fish Newell much, except in summer from a boat, deep, for walleye. I've lived in the general area (county) for almost my entire life, and I haven't seen random camping allowed in many years. She said in extreme cases they have had to involve the RC's. (though I doubt Birchy would be alot of trouble) I know if I was going to travel a ways to fish the weekend, I'd want to know a bit about where I was headed to avoid problems. There may be a good chance nothing would happen, but it is May long weekend and I'm sure the CO's, etc, will be out in full force.

whoa! hey thanks for the info. and setting me straight on this one! It got my hackles up at first but I wasn't aware they added a camp area at Rolling Hills - it's been awile since I camped at the Rainier Draws...probably around the time of the pike fishing closure regulation changes. Even then there were a lot of people getting stuck that ventured too close to the water or went in when it was obviously too muddy to do so. I wasn't one of them but I did enjoy being able to camp beside the water. The last time I was there fishing "ice out" at one of the draws there had to be 30 R.V.'s lined up along the shoreline..I knew then that it wouldn't be long before that area was shut down...guess it is time to take a drive out that way and see the area again myself..all is good.

I am hitting central Alberta this weekend, hoping for some Pike action. Should I break out the 6 weight rod or do you think the 5 weight would handle it?

Also when Pike fishing in the winter we use a steel leader, is this suggested for the summer also so the teeth don't cut the line?

Matt

I always use a metal leader. Doesn't seem to bother the pike. After catching a few pike and looking at your steel leader you will be glad you put one on. I use one for walleye too back in Sask. because there is always pike in the area and it doesn't seem to spook them either. The water is usually off color though so that may be why the leader is no big deal. Good luck. They are a riot on a fly rod.

I am hitting central Alberta this weekend, hoping for some Pike action. Should I break out the 6 weight rod or do you think the 5 weight would handle it?

Also when Pike fishing in the winter we use a steel leader, is this suggested for the summer also so the teeth don't cut the line?

Matt

I can't speak from firsthand knowledge.. but from what I've read. If you hook a big pike it will almost certainly bust your 6 weight. I've read that an 8 weight and a reel with a good drag system is MINIMUM.

Here's Clive's page again:

http://members.shaw.ca/clives/pike_gear.html

Two more sleeps and my favorite spot opens for early season pike on the fly !!

A couple of seasons ago, I made a change from titanium leaders to flourocarbon (60 lb.). The water I fish is shallow and clear (and fairly heavily fished), so the flourocarbon has increased the number of hits I get and in the two seasons since the switch, I have never been broken off.

A quick thank you to Clive and his pike site. I have been making flies based on some of the examples on the site. They are quite a bit uglier :rolleyes: , but I am hopeful they will get hammered anyway !!

I use a ten weight, which might be a bit much, but at the same time it helps to punch 5-7 inch streamers through the wind, and bring a larger fish under control in a reasonable time frame.

Pike on the fly can be a real blast, good luck to those goin' after them in the next little while.

DSC06087.jpg

DSC05456.jpg

Ayr.

You can get away with a six weight if you're only using 4-5" flies and the fish are under 15lb. I've landed tons of them and never had a problem. After the first hard run they often don't scrap that hard. If the fish are huge and you going to chuck giant flies I guess you will need more rod.

You can get away with a six weight if you're only using 4-5" flies and the fish are under 15lb. I've landed tons of them and never had a problem. After the first hard run they often don't scrap that hard. If the fish are huge and you going to chuck giant flies I guess you will need more rod.

I guess it's more of a "who knows how big the pike is that takes your fly?" kinda thing. Sure a 6 could handle a >15 pounder.. but what if a 30 pounder takes it? I mean.. you may still be able to land it.. but I'd rather not take a chance on a busted rod.

I guess it's more of a "who knows how big the pike is that takes your fly?" kinda thing. Sure a 6 could handle a >15 pounder.. but what if a 30 pounder takes it? I mean.. you may still be able to land it.. but I'd rather not take a chance on a busted rod.

ID go with 8-10 wt min even with 4-5 inch flies If your targeting spring pike and end up with a 20-30 pounder as expected in the spring youll be glad you had it. 7 ft of berkly tiable steel leader 20 lb is my choice. Be sure to check the water temp if fishin is slow. Its a little way off this year.

tight lines

I could've swore one of the board members here just recently posted a report from a Pike on the Fly trip.. but I cannot find it for the life of me!! Any help?

Ever astute, Birchy.. Could possibly be the post I put up, that after much deliberation, decided was pretty boring, and probably of not much interest to the crowd here, I pulled 'er. Most of the pics were old, was going through the old pics I had built up thought I'd stick a few up.

(Nice ladies, Ayr, btw.)

A wise man with whom I've recently become acquainted told me, though he said he'd heard it elsewhere, was that "Flyfishing for trout is like ballet, while doing so for pike is like WWF wrestling." An interesting quote I thought.

I can't speak from firsthand knowledge.. but from what I've read. If you hook a big pike it will almost certainly bust your 6 weight. I've read that an 8 weight and a reel with a good drag system is MINIMUM.

Here's Clive's page again:

http://members.shaw.ca/clives/pike_gear.html

while talking and conversing on the subject with Kipper-Snack we agreed that an 8 weight rod was the way to go ...especially in the southern region resevoirs..here large Pike abound! #8 WF Floating - slow sink tip is the way to go..with an arbour reel. Trust me on this one Kipper-Snack knows his flyfishing!!!!

whoa! hey thanks for the info. and setting me straight on this one! It got my hackles up at first but I wasn't aware they added a camp area at Rolling Hills - it's been awile since I camped at the Rainier Draws...probably around the time of the pike fishing closure regulation changes. Even then there were a lot of people getting stuck that ventured too close to the water or went in when it was obviously too muddy to do so. I wasn't one of them but I did enjoy being able to camp beside the water. The last time I was there fishing "ice out" at one of the draws there had to be 30 R.V.'s lined up along the shoreline..I knew then that it wouldn't be long before that area was shut down...guess it is time to take a drive out that way and see the area again myself..all is good.

Yes, I've heard the stories from back in those days.. A good few years back, for sure. That basically wiped that spot off the map, from what I've heard. Chuckin' bait, many of them, from what I understand. As well as commercial fishermen not afraid to string nets wherever, that erased a few others. I know a guy that has fished there better than 20 years easily and he told me some of the horror stories.