Fly Fusion Forums

Fighting Butt's

Fighting Butt  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Fighting Butt?

• I need them
    • I hate them
    • No preference

What do you guys think of fighting butts on single handed trout rods?? Whatever weight of rod, do you have a preference and would you buy or not buy a rod based on the fighting butt? Do they add unnecessary weight to the rod? Use them for some switch casting? Do they actually help you land a fish faster?

Thanks guys!!

Depends on the size of the fish and the application of the rod. I used to catch bones on a #5/6 when I lived in Florida and that rod had a fighting butt on it. Would I put a fighting butt on a #5/6 trout rod? Probably not because I'm not applying pressure in the same way. I wouldn't say they were necessary when catching bones either but it's nice to be able to jam the butt into your hip to apply some good side pressure to stop a big bonefish's run. I wouldn't even dream of a tarpon rod without a butt on it.

I like them on any rod #8 and bigger but that's mostly personal preference. Having said that, I'm sure others' mileage may vary.

need them..no

like them.. yes, at least on larger rods

grew up fishing 8wt w/o a butt on the east coast, never even seen a rod with one till I moved west, I like them on larger rods for a little more support along the back of your arm while landed a nice fish and I find they offer more ruggedness and protection when you have you have to lay down or drop your gear. I also like to plant it in my gut when I'm fighting elusive Bow River Blue Fin.

derail....Bad thread title, you don't wanna know the image that popped into my mind........sumthin like a coupla hogs inna gunny sack.

back on track; 6 and down? no, 6 and up? yes. the extra when fightin' big fish is nice

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Click here if the movie does not play.

After fishing the Bow with my 8 wt (with a fighting butt) and hooking into a decent brown I can now see why a fighting butt is a good idea!!! My bow rod definitely needs a fighting butt. Also I was doing some sweet switch casts with it which was pretty fun.

• 1 year later...